1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

VW Beetle

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by CarpenterGuy, May 18, 2009.

1. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I know this is a chevy forum, but a good friend of my mom's has a 2004 beetle with 115K miles on it that is acting up. I read the codes for it with my scan tool thing and it said all 4 cylinders are misfireing and theres some air backflow. It also says something is wrong with the air sensor circuit, wich i assume could be an air flow sensor. Oh, and it also says it's running lean.

I checked the spark plugs and plug wires and they all look good. What next?

There is this black thing that almost looks like it could be either a blower or a vacuum in the front of the engine compartment that has a hose running from the air box to it and another hose running from it to somewhere near the throttle body. What the heck is this thing? I'm thinking this could be the problem but i have no clue what it is and what it's supposed to do.

If you need more info let me know, cause i'm not good at describing things. Thanks
  2. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What motor is it?
  3. CarpenterGuy

4. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Is it turbo? If it is, then there are a lot more things to trouble shoot. Just off hand, my guess would be either a vacuum leak or a bad MAF sensor. Has the car been in any impacts? Hard hits on pot holes or accidents?
  5. CarpenterGuy

it's not a turbo. it's in a plastic housing. all of a sudden the car is acting normal. i dont think it's been in any wrecks.