1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

W4M w/ SCT Handheld Installed!

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by omegafiler, May 22, 2009.

1. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

So I had a W4M tune using the old SCT handheld with my previous 06 YD and it worked great. When it came time to tune the new truck, I checked around to see what else was out there, but it looked like Wait4Me was the only one that met my basic requirements. I don't require much; I just wanted a custom tune to clean up a few "rough" spots in the factory tuning and remove/increase the 98mph speed limiter. And maybe a bit more HP to keep things interesting. It's a daily driver, not a race car!

And... most important, it needed to be a handheld.

Well wouldn't ya know it, SCT apparently just released the new GM Xcalibrator X3 for the new trucks that is both able to tune the ECU (Engine) and TCU (Trans). Jesse worked with them to help develop it so he got the first batch of these units in. So I'm not sure if other tuners have access to them or not. W4M even claims it's invisible to GM that's it's been tuned. Who knows. Don't really care. :)

So, on to the handheld.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's pretty slick looking, much better than the last SCT I had on my 06 YD. It's more responsive, better design for the buttons, and it's backlit. It includes a USB cable, instructions on CD, and a plastic chrome SCT badge (No, I'm not going to put that on). The tuning took somewhat longer than usual, I believe around 10-15 minutes. Most likely because it was tuning both the ECU and TCU, which you can clearly see during the programming process. The old tuner took about 10 minutes, but it only had to flash the PCM. It also checks/clears DTC's as expected. Otherwise it's a pretty standard unit and tuning process. Just plug 'n play.

I requested the Performance/Mileage tune, "Race" or Max Performance tune, and a Towing tune. You can request 3 seperate custom tunes of your choice, any way you want them. Naturally I loaded the Mileage tune since this is a daily driver and is probably the only one I'll ever use. Went for a drive and it's exactly what I wanted. Shift firmness slightly more firm than stock, improved shifting, raised shift points, more power across the entire RPM band, smoother power delivery, increased speed limiter, etc.

Basically all of the good stuff you'd expect from a custom tune. Total cost was $410 shipped. Yeah, it's a bit pricey, but that was just for the handheld only; they didn't charge me for the tuning. It's a "promotional" thing since they're new.

Yep, that's it. It like it. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. heavy chevy

heavy chevy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Cool man looks like you went with the same peps I went with. I hope you like it I love mine. I got diffrent tunes than you did. Did you read my review or did you hear about w4m from someone else.
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

That is cool that you can get the tunes done through a handheld, because I am not a huge fan of the swapping out PTM module's. Thanks for posting the pictures so we could see what it actually is, keep us posted on your improvements. :glasses:
  4. 04SilverChevy

04SilverChevy Rockstar 100 Posts

5. omegafiler

Nah, I had a W4M tune a few years ago with my old Yukon. Also had the SCT, just the older version for the GMT-800's. Last time I had to send it back twice to make some minor adjustments and get it just the way I wanted it. But this time it worked great the first time and setup just the way I requested it.

No problem. I wasn't big on swapping out computers either every time it went in to the dealer. Not to mention the added bonus of having multiple tunes.

It's best to give them a call, but if you e-mail them, I'd suggest contacting Hannah. Her e-mail is on the site. Jesse doesn't always get around to the e-mails. :)
    http://www.wait4meperformance.com/

And if you want more info on the handheld they use.
    http://www.sctflash.com/X3GM.php
  6. heavy chevy

dang man you give a good review a lot better than mine. Trplx2 that is the some tuner I have so now you know what it looks like. Sorry I forgot to get you a pic.
  7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

That's okay Heavy Chevy, I just like to see what I would be getting ahead of time. The idea of a hand held over a swap is awesome, I hope you post some more updates from your new tuner. :glasses:
  8. raiderman8112

raiderman8112 Rockstar

how much did your mileage tune help you out, and did you get them all as 87 octane tunes or a mix or 87 and 93? I'm curious because this is the way I'm leaning towards when I go to order mine this summer.
  9. omegafiler

I'll let ya know if I can make it a few more days and keep my foot out of the throttle. :) With just about all of the W4M tunes, the vehicle can still run the same octanes as before or the "any octane" tunes as they call it; which for this truck includes E-85, Regular, and Premium. Obviously you'll get better performance with premium fuel once the vehicle is tuned for it. Maybe even better mileage. Just depends on whether or not the increase is enough to offset the added cost.

But the 6.2's recommend Premium from the factory, which is all I'm going to run. 93 octane here in TX.
  10. heavy chevy

just wanting a update on what you think and do you have any videos.