1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Waking up a tired 454

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 93BURB, May 30, 2007.

1. 93BURB

93BURB New Member

In lieu of a rebuild which I know will be in the relatively near future, what are some of the things you have done to wake up your Tonawanda 454 (mine's a 93 w/ 170,000 miles)? Intake and exhaust is pretty standard, but what else has worked for you?? Any assistance is appreciated!!
  2. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Ah this is right up TrailLeadr's alley. He just did his and will have tons of advice...Wait for it...Wait for it...um Patrick...
  3. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well now, seems Jamie kind of put me on the spot here...lol

I actually didn't do anything prior to my rebuild. I kind of forced myself into my rebuild.

If I were going to do mod prior to a rebuild to get some exrta juice out of my beast. I would go with roller rockers. They're not too labor intensive, and only require the valve covers to be removed.

Just make sure you get the right studs. I made the mistake of taking what I read (everywhere) that my heads would be 7/16 studs, when in fact they were 3/8's. So I spent a lot of time drilling and tapping my holes.
    Also because I had snapped a couple of the old rocker bolts in the head so I had to drill them out anyway.

That's about all I can think of right now that's fairly easy, and quick hp increase. I did put in a high torque cam, but that was part of the rebuild, and I wouldn't suggest doing that without the rebuild. I found that when I pulled my old cam I had two cracked cam bearings. If you get that far, and find you have bad bearings, then you just earned yourself a trip to the rebuilding area of your garage.

Your engine also has a poly coated aluminum timing gear on the cam. I suspect it's to help dampen the vibrations. problem is that over time the steel chain wears down the poly coating, which allows your timing to float.

I know it's hard to say, but how tired do you think your 454 is?
    Do you tow anything?
  4. 93BURB

93BURB New Member

Good information, I hadn't considered roller rockers as a quick upgrade. I do have it on my list of things to do during the rebuild but it might be a good idea to go ahead and do it now!

As far as how tired I think the 454 is... It starts right up, idle's great, and has good acceleration while not towing. When I hook something up to it, it has relatively good acceleration getting to 50 mpg but struggles a bit getting from 50 to 70 (3,500 lb trailer while loaded is all I've towed thus far.) It's not horrible by any means as it still has a bit more power than my rebuilt 350 that I had in my 87 K1500 that I just got rid of.

I used tired in the sense that it has 170,000 miles on it and I have a small leak coming from the oil pan. I plan on putting a new pan gasket in in a couple weeks, but who knows what happened before (as if someone could have ran it low).

Plan is to get 2 years out of the motor in its current condition (at about 10,000 miles a year) before a rebuild. That should put me in a spot that I can spend what it takes all at once and get it done in a couple months (from start to finish). I'm just looking for something relatively quick and painless that I can do to get some more juice out of it until I yank her out...
  5. TrailLeadr

Oil pan gasket is no small chore.

Because it's a 454, and because it's 4x4 you need to decide how you want to tackle this. You have two options available to you, both suck.

Either remove the front axle, or unbolt the engine from it's mounts, and lift it. Either way the oil pan is not going to come out unless you do one or the other. Even at lifting, I think you'd still need to unbolt from the trans because you won't get enough lift with it bolted on.

Of course you could drop the pan a little, and slide a new gasket into place and hope it works out that way, but probably not the best idea.
  6. 93BURB

93BURB New Member

Yep...that was the plan, unbolt the motor mounts and unbolt the tranny. I've also thought about saying screw it and paying someone to put it in. It would be sooo much easier if I had access to a lift!!

Thanks for the help TrailLeadr, it's much appreciated!!
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  7. TrailLeadr

I'd be afraid to see what the bill would be for an oil pan gasket, if you had someone else do it.

Got an extra $2000 kicking around? Get yourself a two post lift from Harbor freight.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46299
  8. 93BURB

93BURB New Member

I like it!!

I have a guy that does stuff for me pretty cheap...quoted me at three hours labor which isn't bad...I'd pay $175 to not have to deal with it!
  9. Cableguy

Some jobs are just not backyard mechanic material, your right. More aggrevation than its worth.
  10. Cableguy

See did I lie! TrailLeadr is a wealth of info...He's my hero, Damn it! LOL