Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

want change 4wd to a 2wd what do i need to do?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by pantydropper, Jan 25, 2012.

1. pantydropper

pantydropper New Member

i have a 2001 gmc sierra that i want to take out the 4wd an do a 2wd in it.

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Put the selector in 2wd:lol:.

Other than that its removing the front diff. and swapping 2wd knuckles (may not have to would have a hole where the front cv joint was) remove front drive shaft. if you wanted to remove the transfer case you would need to swap out the rear drive shaft so it goes from the transmission to the rear diff instead of the stock setup. Im sure there is more.

3. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

Just curious, why would you want to do this? I'm not sure you can just swap knuckles. The 2wd drive suspension is different from a 4wd (coil vs torsion bar and different geometry). You can't just pull the c/v halfshafts because you need the spindle nut to hold the bearing together. So you'll need to keep the front diff and halfshafts. The transmission will have to be swapped with a 2wd unit so you attach a driveshaft or you can get a 2wd mainshaft, tailhousing, plus other small parts to convert your current one. You'll also destroy any resale value on the truck. I think you'd be ahead money wise to sell your truck and get a 2wd.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sell it and buy a 2wd, i cant imagine it will be hard to sell a 4wd in Anchorage, although i dont think i would want 2wd only in Anchorage?

5. pantydropper

pantydropper New Member

well my truck is going to be a summer truck an i want it to be a 2wd so i can drop it lower with out baggs because i want to do a static drop on it an i couldnt sell it for the amount i would want to sell it for due to it be a reconstruct title. so thats why i want to change it an as far as front suspension my buddy has a 2wd with torsion bars not coils. so i dont know about that.

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Probably the best way to do what you want would be to find a 2wd frame and axles then drop your engine and body on, you'll still need to swap the trans or get a long tailshaft.

7. kburb

kburb Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Isnt there a law againts this!!

8. darkness-lies-

darkness-lies- Member 2 Years 100 Posts

X2:no: but it your truck so good luck

9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Not yet but dont give the politicians in Washington any ideas!!