1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Want more power, lots of questions

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by HawaiiKid, Jun 28, 2010.

1. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Basically, heres the deal: I am going to be starting a legitimate job in a few months here that is going to be providing me with some disposable income, and I want to do 2 things with it-make my Silverado really pretty, pretty fast. Now a new paintjob might be in the works, but I want to get some power into her first, so here is the big question: how do I do that? First off, the engine has 135k on it, and I'm going to put on about 6 thousand more before it gets any work done to it (I'm cross countrying her from NY to CA, then shipping it to Hawaii) so I know its going to need some work done to it to make it able to handle a lot of power.

So, question 1-Do I stick with this motor, or drop it and go with a crate motor? And if I stick with it, should I just get it stroked out to like a 383 and leave it NA and get some power out of it that way? Or do it just get it cleaned up and running like new again, then drop a small (6-10 pounds of boost) turbo on it? The big thing is I'd like to keep it somewhat "ok" on gas, and I'd like to keep the cost down of the entire build.

I'm realistic and know it aint gonna be cheap, but I'd like it to cost as little as possible, and with that in mind it seems like the smartest route would be to get the engine stroked out, right? What would that cost me anyways?

As you can tell, I have a lot of questions, and am wide open to any sort of input you might have. Also, if there is another option out there that I haven't touched on (other than gettin a new truck haha), lemme know!

Thanks,
    Billy
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. HawaiiKid

Bump...could really use some input from people that have done stuff to their own rides to make em faster.
  3. dualdj1

dualdj1 Rockstar 100 Posts

As I say to most looking for more power: What exactly do you want to do with it? Is it going all off road? Still daily driver? Racing? Give us an idea of what your goals are with it and we can help you with suggestions.
  4. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

What all do you have done so far, everything in your signature? That would help with choosing your path.
  5. HawaiiKid

It's going to be a daily driver, just want some more power for no real reason other than fun. It will probably stay on road for most of its life, I like her to stay clean.

And power wise, I am looking for something like 350-450 hp, just depending on how much it costs to get there and what route I go.

Yeah, only performance mods so far are the K&N filter, side exhaust and the DiabloSport Predator tune.
  6. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Well since you already have intake, exhaust, and a custom tune, then id get a cam and high-flow heads. Then if you want more power after that, id bore and stroke your motor as well as get bigger injectors. Then the next step is a turbo or supercharger. And with all this power, you had better build up your tranny and differentials to handle the power. So I say go as far as your wallet will let you.
  7. HawaiiKid

Well, what does a performance cam and a good set of heads run, and what kind of performance gains could I expect from that? What about boring and stroking, cost and performace gains?
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  8. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

A cam is around 200 and a great set of high-flow heads is 600 to 1000 for a set of new aftermarket heads. I dont know what the cost of boring and stroking your motor would be. But any of these mods would really add the power to your motor and are necissary mods to make a motor hit up to 450 hp like you stated earlier you would like to get.
  9. JennaBear

JennaBear Rockstar 100 Posts

What I recommend to folks:

Stage 1- intake, exhaust, tune
    Stage 2- cam, headers, F/I
    Stage 3- gears, transmission, spray
  10. HawaiiKid

Jenna, do you not think that cylinder heads are worth the cash?