1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Want Opinion ASAP

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Gambit, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Gambit

Gambit Rockstar 100 Posts

Getting the American Thunder Exhaust today FINALLY. and still havent quite figured out where i want the tail pipe. I have it narrowed down but would really like opnions. It is happeneing in 2 hours though.

1) straight down after the rear axel.
    2) Side exit BEFORE the rear tire.
    3) side exit after the rear tire.

the axel and before the rear tire is to try and avoid pinching the tail pipe. while putting through "the motions" I just cant decide. OPINIONS PLEASE!!!!!!
  2. Big75

Big75 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

side exit before rear tire. looks clean, and avoid the pinch.
    1 person likes this.
  3. pmartin816

pmartin816 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I went with the straight down before the axle. I really like not even seeing the tail pipes.
  4. Gambit

I like that to Pmartin but my problem with that is the exhaust barrells out from under the bed in all directions. My boy has it like that and on a cold day you can see the exhaust barreling out from under the bed. It just doesnt seem that safe to me. My kids ride in this truck to every now and then.
  5. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I think it depends.
    Are you going 4 wheeling? If you bring it out the sides it always bangs up the bed and gets bent. I like the sound of short pipes turned down before the axle, if I was going to 4 wheel it. The inside should be sealed so nothing should gets in the cab. Mine come out the back tight against the reese hitch.But any system should have rubber mounts so it will flex enough.
  6. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would do in front of the tire, you don't have to worry about pinching, it gets the exhaust out from under, and it's shorter and cheaper. If you're doing this please post some pics.
  7. pmartin816

pmartin816 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I use my truck to also haul 4 kids around in on the weekends but havent ever smelled a wiff of exhaust in the truck. I dont think it would be an issue with a newer truck like yours. I also have my turn downs turn out at about a 45 degree angle down and out to the side. I dont have any picks right now but will try to post some later today.
  8. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

out behind the wheel, didn't ford try in front of the rear wheel and the rims on that side developed discoloration ???
  9. Gambit

Thanks for all the opinions. I was still torn right up to the point when they put it on the lift. I went with the turn down right before the rear axle. Cant tell its there and sounds mean as hell. I will snap some pictures when it stops raining here.
  10. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Dual out in front the rear tires, one on each side...like the F-150 Lightning set up. When I finally get my muffler welded on by a legit shop (rather than having the clamp set up I have now)I'm going to have them do dual side exhausts...it'll look sick for sure.