1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Want to Add OEM Remote Cassette to My 01 Silverado

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by OE812, Jul 30, 2009.

1. OE812

OE812 New Member

I bought an OEM remote cassette for my 01 Silverado. I have the OEM dash CD/radio head unit and I need to know if the truck has the wiring harness already in the dash from the factory or if I have to purchase one? I don't want to pull the dash apart until I have all of the items I will need for the install. Wiring Diagrams, Etc.

Thanks, Jeff
  2. bill190

bill190 New Member 100 Posts

Is this remote cassette a specific *factory* option for your year/model vehicle?

If yes, you could check with a GM dealer parts department and see what all is needed for the install.

And this information would be in a GM Factory Service Manual set for that year. This is if it was an option for that year.
  3. Badbrad469

Badbrad469 New Member 100 Posts

mine has the factory remote cassette and if u look on the back of the oem radio, it should have two plugs on the back...the plug for my r/c was on the passenger side
  4. OE812

OE812 New Member

Badbrad469:

Did you add the remote cassette and if so, did the radio have the wiring harness connection for it from the factory?
  5. Badbrad469

Badbrad469 New Member 100 Posts

no, it came that way from the factory. but, to see if yours has it, just take off the trim around the stereo/gauges and pull out the factory stereo and look on the back. it's really easy, there are little tabs on each side that u just push them down and the stereo comes out.
  6. Kaiser-Wave

Kaiser-Wave New Member

your factory radio will have the port for the cassette player anyways all the radios of that year do, when you got the cassette player did it come with an extension harness? If so then you just have to run in up and plug it into the back if it didnt then you will have to purchase one from gm or find someone with that harness.
  7. OE812

OE812 New Member

GM dealer only had the 9 pin female connectors and no wire.
  8. Kaiser-Wave

Kaiser-Wave New Member

what a pain in the rear, your best bet is to try to find one online or see if someone wants to give you one because they are getting rid of that tape player.