1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Want to Buy a Full Size Truck,,,,,but gas mileage????

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Samuelg35, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Samuelg35

Samuelg35 New Member

hey i am sam. i am only 17 and i wud like to get a regular cab truck and want to lower and maybe do a cadi front end conversion. but i need some info.

i am looking for a

2003-2006 silverado or seirra.

i want the single cab.

i would like a a manuel v6 or v8 auto....

i looked everywhere and cant really find real life gas mileage averages for the single cab.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/bymodel/2006_Chevrolet_Silverado.shtml

this site says that the v6 manuel and the v8 make about the same.... i dont care about towing....

but i want good gas mileage.... but if i sacrifise 1 mile for the v8 model which comes with power

windows then I will do that. but i cant afford getting like 12 miles..

so if you please post your truck and engine and mods and what gas mileage you get if you got the

regular cab only please.

or if you know some mods for saving gas please post. i have a CAI on my car and that gets a little

better gas, but on some cars i hear that is actually gets less gas. same with some exhaust.

thanks in advanced....
  2. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Good luck getting a v8 to get consistantly over 14 MPG or so between highway and street. The v6 doesn't get all that much better. Get a diesel and you'll get a bit more on the economy. I don't think a Caddy front end will help out with better gas milage either but good luck.
  3. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I work with a guy who has a 2wd long box 4.3 manual and is consistently getting 17 and that is during the winter so far, so in summer he should be around 19, my dads 07 is getting 22-23 on the highway and combined 18,so it is very easy to get those numbers, its all how you drive
  4. cascott325

cascott325 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

you can see every mod on my truck in my signature, but i am getting between 10 and 13 around town, and 14 highway. it sucks. this summer i was getting 17 around town, and closer to 20 highway hauling a car on a 2 wheel dolley doing 80. i hope it changes for the better soon
  5. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have the 5.3 with the mods listed in my signature and I consistantly get 18-20 mpg with mostly highway miles. I agree with what was said above. It's all in how you drive. If you like to go fast and drive in the city, then your mileage will be low. If you're easy on the pedal and you drive alot on the highway, you will get decent mileage. Best of luck!
  6. johnsstart

johnsstart New Member 100 Posts

Im with the guys depends on how you want to drive. Trucks cost more in gas just a fact bigger uses more like a fat guy at the buffett 300 pds eats 150 :rofl:. No but on serious there are some mods to help on gas but wont get you the 35 mpg :lol:. If you are only concerned about gas you might want to look at the colorados they are some what better if you get in the 6s nice trucks with alot of mods that can be done i have 4 in my area that look real good. And with smaller truck you could go to extended or crew cab and ride alot more people when the party hits everyones looking for a nice ride. I still have my 95 gmc sonoma single cab from when i was 19 and it just sits now. Unless i take her out for fun. If you know more then one person id look for more room with the better gas milage. And word of advice dont go near 06 silverado i just got one and nothing but probs. Im having hard time getting bugs out now. Check my post they can tell you everything :grrrrrr:gas guzzling, cluncking, whining peice of **** and i cant find any answers to it must have been a transition year from 05 to 07 its only got 46,??? miles on it and a ton of crap wrong but hey 3 kids 1 wife and poor old little me gotta have the room.:sign0023:But ill cut it short your age and what you are looking for is something to grown in and keep up with the economy id look further into the diffrent options other then full size. And manual dosent make that much diff i have 91 pontiac firebird v8 5.0 and a 95 sonoma 2.2 4 cylinder the fire bird only used 2 dollars more a week to drive a hour and half to work. i busted that myth id rather pay the 2 bucks a week not to have to shift and sit in that traffic. And over all wear and tear on manual over time adds up in the city more money then its worth i say shift it and forget it. Unless you head for a track just to cut loose for fun not a daily driver though. Good luck and i hope to see what you decide pm me anytime and keep it chevy and gm, no matter what.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  7. 05azsilver

05azsilver New Member 100 Posts

I have a full size regular cab, 4.3l V6 5spd. On average I get between 22 and 23 MPG, the worst i ever got was 17 and that was because my thermostat was broke and the engine would not get to temperature. Long story.
  8. Samuelg35

Samuelg35 New Member

first of all i NEVER CALLED THe small truck guys beaners. my cousins and coworkers do..... i said i stick 4 people in a 3 seater truck...if i have too....

i like this site and dont want any problems, just trying to get some info...
  9. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I drive a 99 sierra 2wd reg cab and I get 10mpg all day every day. I drove it through my junior and senior years in high school and put just about all my money into the gas tank. I wouldn't have it any other way.:great:
  10. cascott325

cascott325 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

what are you talking about? i dont see any slurs on here or any inquisition that a slur was used.......

any way, the colorado was mentioned. i have a classmate who traded his 2500hd for a colorado, and ill tell ya. if i ever sell my truck, i will probably get one. they are a real nice vehicle. they have an enormous amount of options to choose from, and seem to be a reliable vehicle