1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

want to change brakes pads but caliper bolts will not budge.

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by LordHobart, Jul 29, 2012.

1. LordHobart

LordHobart New Member

I have a 99 chevy blazer. I tried for hours to remove the caliper bolts to change the brake pads but have had no luck. I've used PB Buster, Liquid wrench, breaker bar, socket set, wrench and hammer. i dont have a torch so i haven't tried that yet. any other suggestions?
  2. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I think you know what everyone is gonna say...your gonna have to heat them up with a torch!...try a 1/2 rachect with a piece of pipe at the end,maybe you have tried that already...also maybe hit the gym alittle more often!:rofl: haha jk
  3. LTHASA503

LTHASA503 New Member

Yeah man youve gotta heat the caliper brackets where the blots thread in to get those out if it's seized in there. If you put a long bar on it and snap the caliper bolts you'll be putting calipers on it too...
  4. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

haha nice one chevyboy LOL
    yeah torch.... or maybe... maybe, you could drive it around for a couple minutes really riding the brakes hard so they get nice and hot, then park your truck, jack it up and try it, that little bit of heat might do the trick, it worked for me when i was removing my hubs
  5. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Never had an issue with the caliper bolts that just an extension on the ratchet could not handle. The extra leverage made the difference.
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree with everyone else. A 1/2" drive ratchet with a pipe slid over the end for some leverage should do it. A little heat never hurts, unless of course you heat up the caliper too much and start melting the rubber around the piston. Just a few seconds of heat where the threads are should help out.