1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

want to change my lug pattern

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 454burb, Apr 15, 2009.

1. 454burb

454burb New Member

First i would like to say hello since i'm new to the forum. Now my problem is i have a 1994 chevy suburban 2wd with a 454. I am wanting to change the 8 lug pattern to a six or a five lug(prefer six). If anybody has any info or knows a way of doing any ifo would be great thank you very much.
  2. 454burb

454burb New Member

any body please i need help
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Well you haven't received any replies because most guys have never heard of doing this. Plus you didn't say if you have a 2X or a 4X4. Anyway the answer is simple. Change your complete rear end to a 10 bolt from a half ton pick up. That's the easy part. The front end is another story. You would have to adapt 1/2 ton spindles to your 3/4 ton A arms. This can be done but it will require metal fabrication. When you are done you will have wasted your money on a major downgrade. What am I missing here?
  4. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

actually he did say it is a 2wd, but oh well

and why would you want to do this? if you have an 8 lug, then you will be able to do a whole hell of a lot more with this truck than if you were to change to a 6 or less
  5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I see he did say it was a 2WD now. Guess I need some stronger glasses. <G> I'm thinking he found some wheels and needs to make them fit the truck. Just a SWAG
  6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Agreed. If you have 8-lug tires and a big-block, you either have a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. If you were to convert down to 5 or 6 lugs, the parts that would enable this would cause you to lose your high weight rating and make the truck less useful for towing. If you got some free/cheap rims with a lower lug pattern, it is my opinion that you could probably get new rims with the correct lug pattern for cheaper and easier than it would be to convert your truck to 5 or 6 lug rims... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...
  7. 454burb

454burb New Member

thanks for the info but the rim thing is definitly wrong i was just wanting to lower the truck a little bit and it seems they only make lowering kits for the 1500 but i don't want to change my towing capabilities thanks again for all the info
  8. scgamer_99

scgamer_99 Rockstar

9. rc1

rc1 New Member

You definatly do NOT want to downgrade your axles. I have an 87 3/4 ton burb and had to go to full foatl axles in order to hold up to towing a farm tractor. I can tell you from experience the 1/2 ton axles are weak. I tried several 1/2 tons before going to 3/4.
  10. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Get a rear flip kit, the axle is currently under the rear spring s, this will mod to put the axle over the springs, giving you about a 2" drop in the rear, this will probably bring your truck to level anyway, you should be able to get shorter front springs, have you looked at styling trucks, they have them from belltech, it doesnt say anything about 1/2 or 3/4 ton so you can call them and they can tell you what they have, or if you can afford it just get airbags and then you can raise or lift at will
    Last edited: May 17, 2009