1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Want to fit a G80 in my '97 K2500 (C6P) & GT4 differential

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Bandolito, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Bandolito

Bandolito New Member

My truck has the (RPO code) GT4 (3.73 rear axle DUP to 5X1) and I would like to upgrade it to a G80 locking differential.

I believe I can get an Eaton MLocker to achieve this, but what all is entailed in such a conversion? Other than buying the MLocker, what else would need swapped out?

Thanks in advance for any help!
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Replacing the carrier like that is essentially the same thing as rebuilding the differential, minus buying a new ring and pinion. So you will essentially need a complete rebuild kit including bearings, seals, and shims. You will also need the tools, know-how, and patience for setting the gears up (including backlash, wear pattern, etc.).

Are you married to the factory style locker (Eaton G80)? An often easier and cheaper option is to install an aftermarket "lunch-box" locker like the powertrax lockright or the Detroit EZ locker. These replace the "spider" gears inside the existing carrier to create the locking mechanism. Because these use the existing carrier, there's no need to set up the gears or the other stuff associated with carrier replacement.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would go with the DetroitEZ locker. But, be aware that the locker will only be as strong as the original carrier that you are installing the kit in. I would not go over a 33" tire with it.