1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Want To See Proof Of the Amsoil Difference???

Discussion in '1st Synthetics' started by 1st Synthetics, Feb 25, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

2. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Cool stuff.

3. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The links don't work anymore. Also, how "thin" is amsoil? I have oil leaks, so I assume I would be putting allot of expensive amsoil on my driveway instead of keeping it in the engine where it needs to be.

4. 1st Synthetics

Thin? Lubricants go by weight like 5W-30or 10W-30. The viscosity of an oil is the viscosity. As far a leaks no oil is going to fix leaks. We have the AMSOIL OE oils which cost less than the Signature series 100% synthetic oils. That may be a way to go if you do have some leaks. It is a great oil for the price.

5. PantheraUncia

I know no oil is going to fix leaks :) but a thicker oil will slip through less easily. What are the going prices for amsoil products that might work for me. It is a 2000 silverado with the 5.3L.

I am leaking from the headers valve covers and the iol pan gasket ( about 2qts every 8 weeks ) :-(.

I am probably going to get a new truck before getting the engine rebuilt.

6. 1st Synthetics

I cant post prices but I will send you a PM ok. What weight oil are you running in it right now 5W-30?

7. Chuggo

Chuggo New Member

I've been running Amsoil in my trucks for over 6 years. Great oil.

8. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

That's allot of oil... valve cover gaskets are cheap and easily replaced. Does that engine have an oil cooler? Maybe one lines leading to the cooler are leaking on you... it just seems like allot for an oil pan gasket.

9. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The links provided don't work any more, just tried both of them.

The only thing I use Amsoil is there synthetic air compressor oil. Only thing I can say is that it makes leaks worse lol, I knew I had a leak in one of the heads of the cast iron motor (Ingersoll Rand), I switched to synthetic and It leaked so bad I had to rebuild the head. I still use it, because It seems to work good but If you have leaks It will NOT help.

10. PantheraUncia

Manual says 5w30..... been using 10w30 the last 2 changes.... its leaking less.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, no oil cooler. I have been looking for an oil cooler and can't seem to find one (online) so I can see what they look like. But there is nothing attached to the ports for the oil cooler near the oil filter.

I have "wet" oil coming down the front of the pan (not enough to drip and leave major stains on the driveway (must be a slow drip). But oil is getting on my valve covers and dirt is sticking to the wet oil.

I washed the engine and under carriage and watched the oil start leaking again, it is coming from the front somewhere high up on the engine block, but can't find it.

There are many threads on here about oil leaks on the 5.3L and I am out of warranty so of course it's going tobe (at least for me) an engine rebuild, so I am just going to replace the truck at some point in the near future.