Want to use factory keyless entry

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by GrizzlyTN, Jan 23, 2011.

1. GrizzlyTN

GrizzlyTN Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 2008 GMC Sierra WT, I currently have an aftermarket keyless entry that is going out. I checked to see if I have the preinstalled package for Keyless entry with remote start (it does not have it) but I wanted to know if I my truck is already setup for at least keyless entry?

It has the sensor on the dash for the daylight and all that so I was thinking all I have to do is buy two key fobs and have them programmed?

Or am I wrong?

2. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I don't think there is a prep package for keyless entry, you either have it or don't. I don't the required RPO codes are, but your best bet would be to go to a dealership and have them run your VIN. They could at least tell you if it is possible or not. Honestly I don't think It is, because GM doesn't sell the keyless entry module. I could be mistaken however. Hope this helps !!

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Honestly you probably have to go to he dealership. I have read this many times, some say its all setup, all you need to add is the key fobs and reprogram the computers, others say its not. The dealership can add these as dealer installed options, as many vehicles are just bought off the lot instead of ordered so it should be able to be added to any truck if a customer wants it, I would only think that it would be easier to add the basics at build time and then all the dealer has to do is reflash the computer, add a recieving module and program the new fobs. That to me seems to be the logical way but who knows......

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011