1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

wanting get a new rod this year but not sure what to get, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by sgtsjj, Apr 29, 2011.

1. sgtsjj

sgtsjj New Member 1000 Posts

So like the title says, im inthe market for a new rod this year( my old one disappeared while I was in the army) im looking at doing any where from sunfish to northern fishing, not huge fish but good sze fish... I was looking at the X factor rods.... any input would be greatly appreciated thanks guys!
  2. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts

I wish i could give you some input here but i haven't done any fishing since i was a kid.I'm hoping someone on here will give you some ideas
  3. sgtsjj

Thanks! Ya its been a long time probably about 5 or so years since I have and it feels like I never have fished before with all the stuff they have out now a days.
  4. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

What kind of fish Sarge & what is the approximate weight of these critters? I have a dozen rods here & I can't use them all at one time :) I'll give you one if you want it. I don't have any X factors but any of these will do the job on 5-7 lb freshwater fish.
  5. sgtsjj

I mainly fish at my cabin which has anything from bass to northern..... I try for bass and pan fish mostly but evey now and again I will go for a northern just for the fight, so I need something that will be able to wrestle a northern but not a rod the size of say a great lake size/ ocean.....
  6. stephan

I know you guys have Atlantic Salmon in the Great Lakes & they are way over 10 lbs. so these probably wouldn't survive many of those. Are you talking about Northern Pike? How much do they weigh?
  7. sgtsjj

Ya northern pike, umm you know I can't think of the top of my head its been so frickin long that I can't remember, I know a normal rod would do with them if that helps?!? I do have a rod that would work for the big fish salmon etc. I got it free when I bought my tree stand from a guy its just way to big for the fishing I wanna do
  8. stephan

ok, most good rods are rated by the line test that should be used on them. You can land a 20 lb fish on 10 lb test line if you're carefull, but you shouldn't ever put heavier test line on a rod than what it calls for or you could break it. What lb test line do you use most of the time for these fish?
  9. sgtsjj

I think I used a 15 lb line.....I think...
  10. stephan

ok, the race is over at 8 PDT so I'll go see what I have & make a list