Wanting to improve my Mileage

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by chevyman882001, Mar 9, 2011.

1. chevyman882001

chevyman882001 New Member

Hey guys got my 98 K1500 with a vortec 350 and a 5 speed. What would be some good bolt ons or things to do to get a couple more mpg's and alittle power. I was thinking on a set of shorty headers, electric fan, maybe ignition upgrade, throttle body spacer, intake, maybe some more just want to know what some of ya'll have done to get some better performance and mpg without breaking the bank. Thanks guys.

All I got done right now is new AC platium plugs, accel cap and button, old packard wires cause new ones were cheap junk, have true dual exhaust with no cats and welded 2 chamber Thrush. Also just running 16x8 Mickey Thompson beadlocks and 265/75 Mud tires.

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Don't waste your money on a throttlebody spacer, they don't do anything. I would change ALL the fluids to synthetics. You need to switch all to see any mpg gains. I run Mobil1 in everything, engine, transmission and f&r axles. It will also make your 5speed shift smoother.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

I see you have your cats removed. Did you get a custom tune when you removed them?? If not that would also help.

3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

X2 what's your mpg now?

I gained from changing over to electric fans. A lot of people think that what you gain by not turning the mechanical fan all the time, you just end up losing because the alternator charging the battery back up from the fan useage is a trade off. But it isn't, because the electric fan only runs when it's hot. In the winter it hardly comes on at all, & in the summer it only runs about 50% of the time.

4. chevyman882001

My mpgs are **** right now getting like 8-10 Im gonna change my thermostat tomorrow cause my temp gauge goes to 210 then 160 up and down the entire time I drive I've seen were that can effect it but aint sure, and I just have a new paper filter, just changed the oil with Vavoline 10w40 and AC filter, the front a rear axles just got changed with 80w90 Lucas I'm kinda iffy on the synthetics plus the price. The truck has 157,000 miles on it right now so any improvements ya'll have done and seen results will help me out alot.

And no I have not had a tune after the cat removal how would I go bout doing that which all I would think of is sending the computer off or a programmer.

5. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

A re-useable air filter such as one from K&N, AEM, Airraid etc...will help out w/ mileage a little bit. Also, removing any excess unneeded weight from the vehicle will help. I see you have a Mud terrain tires as well, you do sacrifice some mpg for the better traction that M/T & A/T terrain tires give. Switching to a tire with a less aggressive tread will help.

6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

A programmer doesn't let you tune for cat delete. You need a custom tune. Heres some tuners that can help you. Blackbear, NelsonPerformance, Wheatly, PCM4Less. Check them out and you decide who you like best.

7. chevyman882001

You know I never thought bout that before and I've seen it done a million times as much as I go to the drag strip lol but thats what i'm gonna do get the old pcm a face lift, PCM4less aint but 2 hours away from me and there is a shop in Black Mountain, NC called Appalachian Performance that does it too I just called them to get a price so its either gonna be them or ride to Mooresville NC beats sending it off. Thanks for the info silveradotrailblazer when I get the extra cash I will let ya'll know how it goes for the old white beast lol

8. chevyman882001

Well after all my troubles my truck is getting good gas mileage now, after the whole tune up, oil change, and fuel filter change I decided to replace the thermostat cause after start up in the mornings the temp would jump to around 230 before the stat opened then after went to 210-215 then down to bout 160 and it was up and down entire time I drove it. Got me a 195 Superstat thermostat and also flushed that orange **** out the radiator and motor and put the green in and now the temp gauge goes to 195 and no futher. The truck is running a whole lot better and its not drinking the gas nowhere like it was so I finally got everything straightened out on it but might change with the new torsion keys and 2in blocks go under it this weekend lol got a deal in the leveling kit so just had to buy it. Thanks for all your help