Wanting to increase hp on my 97 c1500 5.7L

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by 97Prieto, Jun 17, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. 97Prieto

97Prieto New Member

Im looking to increase hp on my 97 c1500 5.7L but not wanting to spend a whole lot on a college students budget. Right now the motor is stock just has an aftermarket exhaust. n what brand of shorties n high flow cats would go good with true dual flowmasters 40 series mufflers
  2. The Heater

The Heater New Member 100 Posts

Hi, 97Prieto:

That mod will get you mostly sound and psychological power.

The only real way to increase power is to change the inside of the engine, as in a different camshaft or aftermarket heads. Other thing along with that if you don't care about cost of fuel is to mill the head/deck or change pistons to increase the compression ratio. It will require using higher octane fuel, however.

If you want to stick with exhaust, there are many good brands of headers for your truck. I like Edelbrock headers myself. Headman is another good brand. You won't get that much extra flow from a "high flow" catalytic converter, and if you really don't want to spend a lot because you are a student, definitely skip changing your catalytic converter. You also run the risk of getting caught changing the stock system catalytic converter configuration, which will cost you a whopping $10,000.00 fine.
  3. 4x4squared

4x4squared New Member 100 Posts

Real performance upgrades aren't cheap. Like stated before, "high flow" systems really aren't worth it. Same thing with cold air intakes and tb/carb spacers. If you're lookin for power, you should start working toward a 355 or a 383. Or forced induction. All cool, none cheap
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

For $4800 delivered curbside
    you can buy a Genuine GM Performance 383E STROKER- 340 HP 435 LB FT-
    Waaaay more than stock.
    It is drop in-except your stock transmission isn't rated for 435 ft lbs
    $4800 plus maybe 40-80hr of work-plus renting a hoist-plus you need buddys to help pull it out-put it in
    But this $4800+ another $100 for various fluids belts another $50 rent hoist-
    WILL REALLY REALLY improve performance
    Bolt on stuff-CAI HEADER EXHAUST- cost $1200-and other than more noise-you won't be able to tell it is faster

Now N2O will certainly improve performance-maybe $600-
    but N2O -in my 1998 5.7 223,000 mile Suburban- might break my motor-might break yours too.

Save your money-get s stroker-with real warranty!!
    Luck
    Charlie
  5. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member 100 Posts

cool!
    shortys are the best overall for our engines, but don't go dual exhaust or high flow catt. its a waste of money unless your going to put in a built 383 stroker.
    if you have smog BS to worry about, you need to keep the same engine.

first things you can do for cheap will be easy.
    NGK platinum plugs, MSD high power coil, 8mill wires. Electric fan (remove the mechanical/clutch fan), and get a K&N filter like this one.
    60-1640.jpg
    just be sure to get a "precharger" wrap for it like this
    imagesCAAEMHIL.jpg
    otherwise youll suck too much dust.

once you do all that, then you can decide on things like exhaust or beefy roller rockers to really let the engine breath.
    but do those things first, and you'll gain close to 20 HP or so
  6. 97Prieto

97Prieto New Member

K15 Blazer guy my truck has fuel injection not carbureted. but thanks do u know anything about upgrading the spider fuel injectors
  7. 4x4squared

1. long tubes > shorties if you can get them to fit.
    2. dual exhausts arent just for 383s. do you even know how you get a 383 CID? its a 350 with a crank from a 400. duals are good on 350s as well just as long as you have the correct back pressure.
    3. Platinum plugs are going to add next to no HP. i ran coppers in my cammed 355 for about 6 months. switched to platinums and it felt no different.
    4. hes probably already got 8mil wires and just because theyre 8mil doesnt mean ****. you dont have to worry about size of the wires, you need to worry about the ohms. according to ohms law, it takes one volt to push one amp through one ohm (less ohms = less resistance).
    5. electric fans are more of a pain in the ass than anything else. like i posted on your thread, just get a mechanical fan that flattens out at higher rpm and you get a noticeable difference while keeping your cooling.
    6. an open air filter helps breathe a little but, again, youre not going to really notice... theyre mostly just to look badass. and they really dont clog up so worrying about that extra filter (which is going to clog up just as fast and therefore block all air to your main filter) is rather asinine.
  8. 97Prieto

97Prieto New Member

yea wouldnt be able to get long tube headers to fit without raising the truck n im not into raised trucks in this body style. do u know where i can get a fan that flattens out at higher rpm?
  9. 4x4squared

i bought mine for my 84 from jegs but last time i checked i couldnt find the damned thing. ill take a look around and see if i cant get somethin found for ya

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.jegs.com/i/Flex-a-lite/400/1519/10002/-1

i like this one but heres the whole fan list from jegs

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...kMAKE=1573913&mkMODEL=1573918&mmySubSearch=on

just make sure youve got the right measurements and the right color. cool colors add hp :p
    The only problem with these fans is some people have complained about them coming loose at the rivets but ive used 2 of them and neither had any problems

OH! and dont forget you may need a spacer! i think i needed a 1 1/2" for mine
  10. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

GM Performance 383E is drop in and smog legal
    In truth not exactly drop in since transmissions aren't rated for 435 lb ft
    Best bang for buck in many respects
    $4800 seems like a lot-but once you add up all the bolt ons
    they can be $2000+ pretty easy-and they won't add 90 hp
    Yes GM puts a 3.8" stroker crank(memory says 3.8" could be wrong)-guessing that is same as old 400 engine