1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Warm up idling, P or N?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Johnny_Buchanan, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Johnny_Buchanan

Johnny_Buchanan Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm old skool, so I do let my vehicles idle for awile prior pulling off. Outside temp and legnth of inactivity defining the idling time.

Now, Red Dust is my 1st automatic that I've actually been using in winter and I was wondering should I have the tranny in P or N whilst warming up? If I stick it in N no oil is circulating in tranny, right? What about if it is in P?

So far I had it in N and if it is really cold I've gone thru gears once before pulling off. Is this ok or is there a better way to try and give the tranny some gentle warm up prior driving?

-J
  2. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Park is just fine. It'll warm well enough, and it's less likely to roll away.

Here in Michigan, there are basically two schools of thought - Plan ahead, and let it warm up a bit; or start it, slam into gear 'n go, because you don't do the maintenance.

Enjoy the ride, you lazy former pedal pusher:)
  3. auzivision

auzivision Rockstar

Next to what motor oil works best, this topic is very popular on the various auto forums. Typically everyone agrees that distributing oil in the engine is the key objective. What’s not universally agreed upon is what it the best method to achieve this.

In one camp are the idlers. Don’t work the engine till it warms, but an idling engine takes longer to warm up therefore is running in a state of less lube longer. Sure it’s not working as hard, but it’s still wearing while idling.

The other camp says, get it started and pumping, and then give it some exercise like driving slowly out of a neighborhood. This will warm up the engine oil quicker plus help get it sloshing around with stop, go, turn, and bumps. Down side is the engine is working harder with less lubrication.

So what is worse? An engine running longer or working hard with less than ideal lube… you be the judge. Truth be told, it probably doesn’t make a hill of beans difference, but it sure is fun to debate.
  4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Hey Johnny, I agree with Kidhauler on leaving it in park. It's safer & the trans pump is still pumping no matter what gear you're in.
    I also agree with Auzivision as far as the great debate as to whether to let it warm up or just start it & drive it away, but you live in such a brutally cold climate that your situation is different than even the coldest climate in the US. I would ask several mechanics where you live what their thoughts are on this. Whatever way you decide to do it, I would definitely drive it easy untill you are able to get all the fluids up to operating temperature.
  5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Also leaving idling obviously decreases poor MPG not just i the fact that you are running the engine and not moving, but also when a vehicle is in idle it is running richer. this could lead to shorter plug life as they are getting fouled quicker. Plus modern day technology helps the vehicle warm quicker then older vehicles too. I live in MN and unless it was below zero that night I dont let it go for more then a couple minutes, basically just to get things moving and loosened up a bit. But when you do take off if your tranny is sluggish then for sure dont give it the nuts.