1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Warning Lights on

Discussion in 'Chevy Impala Forum' started by shokwaves, Apr 13, 2007.

1. shokwaves

shokwaves New Member

A co-worker of mine has a 2002 Impala LS (110K miles) that has the ABS and
    Traction Control warning lights on at all times. He has taken the car into a dealer who claims that both systems function as designed, and that the lights are just stuck on.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, please advise what you did to correct. If anyone has suggestions on how remedy this problem please advise.

Thanks,
    Al
  2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

If you know anyone with a scanner for OBII have them run a scan, most parts stores will lone one or do a scan for free.

I think the traction control light is only supposed to come on when the system is off, or is it on, I forget now.

There should be a switch on the dash that turns the system on and off. Try switching it on, then off and see if the light goes out.

The only time I remember the light coming on in the one I drove was when I spun the wheels trying to get across a busy intersection. It stop the wheel spin as soon as it started, and the light came on then.

But then it was someone else’s car, I was driving.
  3. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts

Traction control should only come on when the wheels spin and the traction control engages, although I recall driving a grand-am rental where the light was on if the button was pressed so that the system was on.

I agree with Fiero, try pushing the button to turn TCS off, and see if the light goes out.
    The ABS light shouldn't be on at all unless there is a problem.
    That dealer is inept. Tell your friend to go to another dealer.
    Ignoring the ABS light can lead to ABS malfunction including loss of brake power.
  4. Cableguy

Cableguy Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I beleive from what I found out so far that the ABS light only comes on when they need service NOT if they have been activated. So get your butt in there before something bad happens. Patrick is right it seems ABS wheel sensor fail is not a comdition you want to drive around in.

My work van is in shop for same condition as we speak...