warranty on 08 Silverado

Discussion in 'Ask GM Customer Service' started by 2k8z71, Mar 13, 2012.

1. 2k8z71

2k8z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

I went to a goodyear service center to get my front brakes looked at and they also took a look at the rear ones and mentioned something about a rear wheel outer seal leaking...or something to that affect. I was wondering if that is covered under the powertrain warranty at all. They also mentioned that it would require a "rear brake overhaul" and a brake system flush. My Silverado has just under 51k miles on it and find it odd for any seals to fail that soon. Thanks for the help

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Brakes I don't think so or anything to do with them.. BUT check your owners book..

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Alright i will step in and say i know the wheel seal will not be covered. since it is considered a "wear" item. As to a full brake overhaul and flush? that is just them trying to rake you over the coals. The most it will require is the rear rotors turned and new brake pads to make sure there isnt any oil on the contact areas. This is a prime example why i no longer trust nor go to a shop since they are trying to take you for several hundred dollars more than it would normally cost.

4. 2k8z71

2k8z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

I was kinda suspicious to begin with in any regards because I took my truck in for the front brakes to be looked at and they said they found a leak on the rears. Wouldn't I see a drop in brake pressure if I had a leak on the outer wheel seal? I look at all my fluids on a weekly basis and see that the fluid in the brake master cylinder doesn't go down at all. I might take it to a dealer for a 2nd opinion. Also, (correct me if I'm wrong) wouldn't I see brake fluid on the drum or on the rim or something indicating a leak?

5. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sounds fishy to me. I would take it for a second opinion. My 08 still has the factory pads on the rear and they are still good. I did change the front because I couldnt get the damn things to stop squeaking.

As Murdog mentioned the seals are not covered by the powertrain. What made you take it in?

6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

OH so they said it was the Wheel cyl??? if that is the case, the part is probably $60 and gm will have to bleed the system. but wow are they full of crap.. What i was refering to was the outer wheel axle seal. Neither parts are covered under warranty but neither require a overhaul of anything.

---------- Post added at 05:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 AM ----------

and it might just have moisture around it (it is a leak and thanks to the pressure that your brakes take you will want to fix it) so not really dripping etc.