Was looking at the How-To on fuel pump replacement.. quick question:

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Springthing, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I was just reading over Michael's How-To on fuel pump replacement (http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14471) and am wondering if anyone has an opinion on if it's a doable job for a non-advanced do it yourselfer. I know righty-tighty, lefty-loosey...

:rofl:

Okokok, I'm not that bad. But I've never done anything major other than carbs (car kind, not diet kind), electrical component swaps.... electronic and radio stuff, etc etc.

Never have dropped a tank before, though.

Any special knowledge needed or tools other than possible fuel line disconnecting tools?

Awesome write up, btw, Michael.

Thanks!

2. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have done several and just did my Suburban's a couple of months ago. You need to disconnect the fuel lines, vacuum and electrical connections before the tank gets all the way to the ground. I found it easiest to just break the fuel pump where the lines connect to it and remove the pieces from the fuel line after you get the tank out of the way. Make sure when you break it you break it as close to the pump as you can that way there is enough sticking out of the line to grab. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the piece sticking out and then use the disconnect tool to release it from the line. This has save me some time and aggrivation from doing it the "proper" way.