Was Wondering if it was possible.

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by chevyracingss, Nov 6, 2011.

Newest Photos

1. chevyracingss

chevyracingss New Member

I have a 90 K1500 350 5spd Getrag. I am wanting, and kinda needing a K2500. Now I know that i can go out and buy one, but where is the fun in that??? Plus, I can spend around $10,000 now for what I need, or, I can spend the same amount over a couple years time frame, and have even more fun by doing the work myself.

Powertrain: To start with I am looking at a complete powertrain upgrade. I talked with the techs at summitracing.com, and found out that I can get about 350-450 HP and 500-550 lb-ft. torque for around $5K. I know I am gonna have to change the tranny because I have found that anything over 250 HP with damage the input shaft on the getrags. I am contemplating a NVG4500 or even a NVG5550 with the PTO to handle the power. I have a New Process 241 Transfer case, but am looking at getting a 205, or a T-10 rock crawler to get more reliability with the higher power.

Suspension: I want to do a K2500 Full Suspension package. I know the C-Channel Frame Rails are the same from 1500 to 2500. But I think that I am gonna have swap the front A-Arms, hubs, Torsion Bars and probably the T-Bar Crossmember I am wanting to get these from a 2004 to 2007 model if I can Simple because they have a higher load capacity. In the rear I am Wanting to actually go with a newer system period. Definitely from a 04-07 truck because of higher weight capacity and better stability control. I want the whole axle too so that I can get a "cheap" Disc brake upgrade. I also like the sway bar on the axle. I think the newer axles are wider than the 90's style, So I think there might be some trimming required.

These are just ponderings that I have over the last couple of months and thought that I might ask some people that could've possibly attempted and succeded (or failed) and possibly what I am looking at. Thanks for reading.
  2. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 New Member

a gmt400 7200 gvw 3/4 ton uses the same frame as the 1500 but the 8600gvw 3/4 ton is different, none of the 8600gvw 3/4 ton front suspension will bolt on, the mounting is different including the mounting for the 9.25 ifs diff

the 04-07 trucks you want parts from if i remember right had a higher load due to the hydroform frame not due to suspension components
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  3. chevyracingss

chevyracingss New Member

ok, so short of buying a completely different truck, what can I do????
  4. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 New Member

solid axle swap?
  5. The Heater

The Heater New Member 100 Posts

You have way too much time on your hands. Buy the 3/4 ton truck, 8,600 gvw, 4x4. If you want more power drop in a crate motor. There. You are done.
  6. johnb9173

johnb9173 New Member

your a arm swap can't be done with out welding................ and who the hell would do that:)
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Go buy some 1 ton military axles, find a good shop that will cut the tubes and shafts down to the length needed to fit your truck. Swap the ifs out to the solid axle, put some good leaf springs on the front and back, Then your in business. If it was me I would buy a 2500
  8. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 New Member

1 ton axles do not need to be cut and the military used a chevy k30 which is the wrong side pumkin for the front, he needs a 77.5-79 ford dana 60 front to do a sas
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I stand corrected. Thank you!
  10. ShadowRejects

ShadowRejects New Member 100 Posts

x2 on solid axle swap. as cool and more advanced IFS is, it requires alot of maintainence. Maybe some bolt on's and stuff, but nothing too over-kill. Id probably drop in a 4bt cummins or vortec/duramax, diesel is the way to do in towing and heavy-duty industry. Even though 350 v8's are stong and powerful they dont really have as much towing power as a duramax would