Washing Engine

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by kwag, Jul 13, 2011.

1. kwag

kwag New Member

I am not satisfied with how well the engine has been cleaned from the car dealer I bought it from. It is a 2005 GMC Sierra and has the 5.3L engine it, can I safely powerwash the engine without causing problems with the ignition, spark plugs, wires, etc?

2. ElbowJoe

ElbowJoe Member

I have washed the engines on all vehicles I have owned with no problems. You should be careful not to spray directly on the alternator, plugs and electrical connections. Some guys go as far as putting plastic wrap on some of the stuff, but I never have. Depending on how dirty your engine is you may want to spray it with GUNK engine cleaner (or similar) before you wash it. Also you should be careful of super high pressure washers. When in doubt, put some distance between the end of the sprayer and your engine. Your '05 should not be too greasy yet so you shouldn't have too much of a job on your hands. Once washed, I always let it run for a while and then apply some tire treatment to the hoses and rubber parts. I spray the parts that are easy to get to and then take a rag to make sure I get good coverage. About once a year, I also wax the bits that are painted under the hood like the fender wells and firewall where I can reach it as well as the hood supports etc. It never hurts to have a little protection in this area when the winter salt comes knocking. Have fun.

3. kwag

kwag New Member

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to screw something up, it's not real dirty, just not as clean as I think it should be.

4. TwelveGaugeSlug

TwelveGaugeSlug New Member

Ive had, and have heard of others, having problems with the knock sensors getting wet and fouled up. You can google it. But im not sure what the way to prevent it would be. Just know that after I power washed my engine, the check engine light came on and threw the knock sensor codes. Googled it and found it had happened to others.

5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I use Simple Green (Or p-21 Motorcycle cleaner if you can find it) And some brushes around everything then the Garden hose to get the rest off..

Works well...