GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Washing your truck - Hand wash or drive-through car wash?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by ChevyFan, Jul 5, 2011.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

Just curious who prefers to wash their own truck or go through the drive thru to have it done?

Lifted-Chevy-Trucks.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  2. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member

I use the pressure washer at the car washes to get most of the big crap off, then I bring the truck home and hand wash it. $2.50 every week or so isn't too bad, plus I get free cleaning supplies from my Uncle since he is a detailer. I'm really liking Mothers products right now.
  3. stephan

stephan New Member

X2 on the pressure wash to get all the mud off, & then I wash it myself if I want it really clean, & go to the automatic wash when I'm lazy or in a hurry.
  4. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 New Member

Never have I used a car wash for my truck, even in the winter, I guess I think that I'll do a better job by hand wash. My truck sits out in the open and I have plenty of trees around my house so I usually have to wash my truck it seems about every 2 weeks
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member

Hand wash truck once a week. Pressure wash under side a few times a year.
  6. Brumby

Brumby New Member

We use both hand wash and car wash.
    There is a great local quick lub. service with one of the best car wash facility that I have ever used.

I just have to remember to take off the hitch cover before entering!!
  7. 98Hotrod98

98Hotrod98 New Member

Normally i hand wash once a month, and pressure wash ( spray off ) as needed between hand washes.
  8. skoal bandit

skoal bandit New Member

ALWAYS thru the drive thru...I'm too lazy to do it myself and its only $3!
  9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member

I hand wash mine, but I really need to get in and do a real good wash and wax. Plus the truck doesnt fit through most the drive thrus. pressure wash the underside every now and then.
  10. AzDragonLord

AzDragonLord New Member

Hand-washing takes too long! I use a carwashing place that will not only clean and dry the outside but also clean the inside.
  11. ajarman

ajarman New Member

Hand wash once a week, if not more. Only time I go to the power wash is when I have been off roading.
  12. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

I do agree that you CAN get a better wash doing it by hand and then using the power washer to do a deep clean. However, for $3 to $5 and unlimited vacuums with these car washes that are popping-up all over town ... that's hard to beat the price. Many of them are brushless or soft-brush and they have guys that towel dry in some and then will detail for an extra fee.
  13. Highmarker

Highmarker New Member

I have my own pressure washer at home, so I guess I could say that I do both pressure wash and hand wash. I usually wash every two weeks.
  14. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member

I always hand wash, and I spend around 4-5 hrs. washing, waxing, vacuuming and detailing every time. You might say I'm a little OCD when it comes to having a clean truck lol.
  15. black03silverado

black03silverado New Member

I have my own pressure washer but still soap it up by hand and pressure it off followed by a good waxing in summer, But in winter i go to the local car wash to get the salt hosed off!
  16. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

I use both. I usually wash the truck twice a week. There is a touch less car wash that does a good job so I use that but when I have time and it's a nice day out I will wash it by hand. It takes a long time to wash it by hand though, at least 2 hours to get the job done. Wax it twice a year with mother's 3 step wax.
  17. Johnny_Buchanan

Johnny_Buchanan New Member

Hand wash, which means it does not get washed that often :=(

-J
  18. murdog94

murdog94 New Member

I also have my own pressure washer. I pretty much wash when it gets dirty, so usually once a week. I buff in the spring and fall. well let me be more specific i use my hand buffer (circular style not orbital) and wax. then i hand wax once a month or so. During the winter i take it to a do it yourself place and get rid of the salt... Even thought it is a PITA to keep it clean it seems before i get home in the winter it is just as dirty...
  19. McMahan

McMahan New Member

I was mine once or more a week and quick wax once a month. I do it all by hand I don't trust anyone else. Just a to wash it polish my wheels and clean it out takes about 5-6 hours. I am OCD when it comes to my truck. I do the engine bay, wheel wells, under carriage, the inside of my wheels ect... I dry it off with a shammy too, Then come all the plastic that I have to hit up with a protectant lol and the tires. Vaccum, windows, dust the vents ect... Yall see how I am lol
  20. Bigg Ron

Bigg Ron New Member

Token Pressure, Brush Wash