Washing your truck - Hand wash or drive-through car wash?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by ChevyFan, Jul 5, 2011.

1. 747

747 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I would never do a drive thru car wash. I enjoy every minute I spend with my truck, and washing it allows me to do that.

I wash it twice a month, wax it twice a year, and plan to polish it once a year.

2. Blackout07

Blackout07 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Handwash only. I learned that the hardway.

3. mrtizzom

mrtizzom New Member

I usually wash mine once a week or every other. Depends on the weather here in MI...it varies sooo much.

4. JnBama

JnBama Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

sharp looking truck:great:

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Have been working long hours and tired and took my truck through one of the better car washes, sounded like it was going to slap the metal off the truck and left brush marks.

5. AnimalYates

AnimalYates Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Handwash my truck about once a week or every other week during the spring/summer/fall, and once a month in the winter time. Nasty winters here in Ohio make it kind of pointless to wash, its just going to get gross either way

6. Dylan@Adams

Dylan@Adams Member 100 Posts

If you genuinely care about the appearance of your truck nothing short of a 2+ bucket hand wash will do.

The 'swirly whirly' type car washes will put all manner of swirls into the paint.

Touchless washes use aggressive detergents that strip wax protection and they never can get you completely clean.

Its a pain, but as the saying goes, if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

7. 2006bowtie

2006bowtie New Member

on the note of the beating $3 car washes, i used one that popped up here recently, and it sounded like a thousand towels beating up my truck. i got those wonderful swirls now... can those swirls come out? any tricks or just a hand wash? havent tried anything yet cause its snowing outside. lol but when it stops im gonna do it right.

8. Dylan@Adams

To remove swirls you're going to have to polish... most likely by machine. Swirl marks are very fine scratches, so washing isn't going to do anything to remedy them unfortunately.

9. 2006bowtie

2006bowtie New Member

like a buffer and compound? ill have access to one this week. some moron left a party drunk on new years and backed into my truck. getting a roll pan and the bed side fixed this week. thank you state farm:great: my truck being white not too much shows. but it is starting to get pretty bad.

10. Dylan@Adams

Yes, but typically a 'buffer' implies rotary which I wouldn't recommend you do unless you are experienced. You'll want to use a "POLISHER" with oscillates, not rotates, and is safe fro a novice to pick up, but can still get you 100% correction with the proper technique.