Washing your truck - Hand wash or drive-through car wash?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by ChevyFan, Jul 5, 2011.

1. 2006bowtie

2006bowtie New Member

ahhh okay, awesome. ive never heard it called a polisher, just a oscillating buffer. lol but good deal, ill deffinately try my luck at it this week while its in the shop. its a family friend so i get to tinker around while its there. im taking advantage of the heated garage and doing anything i can think of, the cold weather made me put off alot.

2. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 3 Years 1000 Posts

It depends.... when it is freezing out side, I go to a touch less car wash and get the $10 package. When it is warm enough, I get the pressure washer out and soap it with a foam canon (soap looks like shaving cream and sticks to the paint). Then I use a california duster soaked with soap to brush the paint to get that thin film off.

Then if I want to, I hit the polish, wax, etc with the 6.5 inch orbital polisher.

3. koyote

koyote New Member

I have a gravel and dirt drive, and it's a coouple hundred feet of hose to get to where i can handwash in the pasture. So we mostly use a drive through once a month or so and pressure wash as needed.

4. darkness-lies-

darkness-lies- Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I do both just depends on my mood last three times i hand washed and waxed.

5. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 3 Years 1000 Posts

I picked up a 6.5 inch orbiting (oscillates) and the light polish worked great..... when it warms up and I have a full day, I am going to hit it with the next coarser polish to pull out some of the deeper scratches.

Then I use the same machine with a different pad for applying wax.

Stay away from these 9,10,and 11 inch polishers that the auto parts stores have.... or craftsman.... they will put more swirls in and create more work.

6. Mysuburban99

Mysuburban99 New Member

Always hand wash my truck and car only use the quarter car wash in the winter and never use those brushes.
    Mike
    99 suburban
    97 monte

7. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hands down hand wash all the way. The automatic washes just can't do as good as a good old hand wash. Plus it helps me to stay familiar with all the scratches on the truck if any.

8. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Depends on how much time I have, my cobra and c10 get hand washed. Sometimes the silvy goes thru a car wash, but I'm lucky enough to have one that is touchless by my house

9. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

If I don't feel like doing it, I'll take it to Benny's or Oak Grove and have them do it. 12$ at Oak Grove does outside wash and wax and chrome polish (very good deal and they cut no corners) 18$ does previously mentioned+ interior. Benny's however does theirs in a touchless car wash then they do the interior but they do have free vacuums 24/7 for repeat customers. There are some black guys that do 10$ washes and its full interior and exterior detail with no corners cut and premium brand cleaning agents are used.

10. TMooreGraphics

TMooreGraphics New Member

I only wash my own vehicles. I'll never take them anywhere and let anyone else touch 'em.

In the winter months, when it's too cold, I'll hit a spray-n-wash, but I "NEVER" use anything but soap and then rinse and I NEVER dry it only because it doesn't get the truck clean enough and I'll only introduce new fine scratches and marring trying to dry it. I found that out the hard way years ago.

In the summer months, my cars all get the two bucket wash method, cleaned top to bottom and I use a different mitt/bucket for the wheels. I'm overly picky with all of my vehicles...and with what they cost, everyone should be in my opinion.