Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Washing your truck - Hand wash or drive-through car wash?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by ChevyFan, Jul 5, 2011.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Seems like there are a ton of hand wash guys on here. Like Maybe a disproportionate amount.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

2. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 2 Years 500 Posts

i know i think that all the people that would hand wash their cars, that they all care for their car. The people that go through the car wash, i dont think they care much about their vehicle. Because most drive through car washes endup scratching you paint if you ask me.

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I don't have time anymore ... or a place to do hand washing. I use either a brushed car wash or a brushless.

4. AR Maker

AR Maker New Member

How do you guys pressure wash underneath your truck?

5. 95_5spd

95_5spd Active Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Lean down and try to get it under there the best you can. Most pressure washers spray a nice wide fan on general pressure so it gets it off pretty good.

6. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I have a home pressure washer that has the soap pick up tube, and various tips to use and a pressure regulator, there are areas you dont want to use high pressure on, so regulate down, simple green soap for me on the underside. Mine is undercoated so its not like alot of effort is required. hey you just get down to the underside level and get busy. You will get wet. I confess, in the winter, I will use the touchless wash, for 10 bucks just to knock off the salt/sand after a snow or ice event.

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I use the touchless wash when it is too cold out for me to hand wash (below15 degrees). Then I will still towel dry it. As far as washing underneath goes. I hit it with the power washer at the quarter car wash. But, if it is pretty nasty under there from dirt roads or from offroad, I will set up my oscillating sprinkler underneath in the driveway and let it go for a few hours. Then I go move it, let it go for a few more hours. That gets it pretty clean.

8. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

I wash it them by had and then hose them off with the pressure washer

9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

When I hand wash I will usually hit it with the pressure washer , soap it up, and then rinse using the "sheeting" method I learned in a Mequiars video. Take the hose with no nozzle on it, and rinse with low pressure from the top down. The water runs off in sheets and leaves very little drying work. It works great on a well waxed vehicle. I can dry my truck with 2 towels if I do this. If I hit it with pressure, it beads up and I use 5 towels.

10. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

lol I don't have anything worth waxing. I sheet rinse them after using the pressure washer, but that's about it.