1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Water in Taillight?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by backcountry horsewoman, Dec 27, 2010.

1. I have been helping clueless roommate with his troubled dodge ram 2500's cooling system lately. But, before I can even fix that problem (am doing a radiator R/I when part arrives), he came home last night upset with a new problem. When he got off work and started truck, he had no working tail/dash lights.

He said he saw water in his taillight which caused his rear light and his dash lights to go out (am thinking it blew the fuse, as I had a similar tail/dash lights issue when my running lights wiring was grounding out on my horse trailer).

I am assuming it does not matter that it is a dodge vs. chevy, as it could apply to either type of truck. I am hoping this is a common and simple problem, and that the fix is as easy as replacing a gasket or using a type of glue to seal the taillight so no more water can fry out the fuse??

Any tips? Thanks!!
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

On the dodges they are notorious for getting moisture into them, if you can finda way to keep it out let us all know.. Since with GM it is usually a seal, and some WD40 to get the moisture out. in all reality you would be better off drilling a small hole in the tailight housing (somewhere on the bottom not by the exposed part) and let the moisture drain that way. My buddy has the same problem and that is actually the best way we found to keep everything normal.
  3. Weird! I located the fuse controlling tail/dash and tested it with my ohmmeter. Got continuity.

Now what??
  4. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts

Damn Girl..u do all kind of stuff..lol

Sorry i cant help u ,,but u could tell him/her..to buy a GM !!!! lol
  5. LOL! Roommate is a guy, but clueless about trucks. He got his 1997 Ram about 4 years ago because it "looks cool", and about the only he does regularly to it is take it to the expensive car wash for a good cleaning. Go figure that everything is breaking on it at the worst possible time.

He's broke and needs help. So I'm helping. :)
  6. DAREDEVIL

Damn, i wish i had a room mate like u !!! could be fun..a lot of fun !! LOL
  7. murdog94

Sounds like its time to take a look at the grounds, and possibly the switch.. that is where i would start since Chrysler was never known for quality products/parts in some models.
  8. DAREDEVIL

What trows me off a little is no dash lights ??? from a ground or such in the tail light ????MMMMMHHHHHH

They dont share the same fuse, do they ?!
  9. murdog94

Yes, and the switch shares that fuse at the same time. If you short the circut sometimes the switch itself will fry.
  10. DAREDEVIL

WOW..., thats crazy..mhhhh
    then YES..i would agree 100% with u to check on wires and such !!! LOL