1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Water leak coming from rear of motor above starter, 99 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Quikfire, Oct 5, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Quikfire

Quikfire Member

I have recently noticed a leak that is coming from the rear passenger side of the motor. At first I thought it was oil, but after comparing the leak droppings and oil from dipstick on a piece of paper I have decided its water and likely antifreeze. Its not green like the antifreeze in my radiator and it has a slightly oily feel. The leak appears to be coming from around or above the starter and dripping down to the transmission bell. Any ideas on this? I cant seem to find exactly where its coming from. I will attach a couple of pictures. Its a 99 suburban 4x4 with a 5.7 motor. As always, thanks for the info guys!

Attached Files:

2. BQS4

BQS4 New Member

Just taking a shot in the dark here, and also having a '99 Suburban that was mysteriously loosing water, you might want to look at a "Y" connector on the upper part of the motor. Sadly it's made of plastic and breaks. If this is indeed your problem, DO NOT get a replacement from GM, it's made of the same plastic, I just went to the hardware store (a GOOD one) and made a "T" out of brass, and solved the problem. I had this same discussion with another member in this thread:
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/130690-Removing-ing-AIRBOX-1998-suburban

3. Quikfire

Quikfire Member

Im starting to think my water pump is leaking and the water is traveling to the back of the motor somehow and dripping around my starter. Sound reasonable?

4. BQS4

BQS4 New Member

I would check the heater hoses on that side above the exhaust manifold. There is a plastic Y connector that broke on mine. I replaced it with a brass T I put together at a hardware store

5. donl

donl Rockstar 100 Posts

Have you checked for a leaking soft plug?

6. Quikfire

Quikfire Member

I suppose I'm not sure what a soft plug is. Is it the same As a freeze plug?

7. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Hard to tell from your pic, but I'm thinking it could be ac refrigerant.

8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

How much are we talking about? The metal looks like it's pretty well covered but it hard to tell from the photo. Can you smear some on white paper and compare with the look of your oil?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wait. You did that already. What did it look like?

9. Quikfire

Quikfire Member

it was defiantly watery with a oily color. The cardboard under my truck shows it dries with a pinkish color. My antifreeze is green. It's not like its gushing just dripping. It also dries on the concrete and is definatly not oil which would leave a spot on the driveway.

Im certainly having a hard time with the diagnosis.

10. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The fluids have colour so that there is some clues available when a wet spot is noticed.

From you pic, is appears to be yellow.

New engine oil is dark yellow, could some have been spilled when the oil was changed, or topped up?

Used engine oil is brown,

Coolant is green, or orange.

Transmission fluid is red,

Power steering fluid is pink, or clear,

Brake fluid is usually clear,

AC refrigerant is green, or yellow.