1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Water leak coming from rear of motor above starter, 99 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Quikfire, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Quikfire

Quikfire Member

That's the second time someone has mentioned AC refrigerant. Is the refrigerant slightly oily and would it dry like water? Where would I start to chase down an AC leak like that? Another interesting thing of note, I parked the burb backed in which means the motor and front of vehicle was pointed slightly down hill and there is no drip spots under it today. I have not climbed under it to see if its pooling on the starter like it has been. Also it does not appear to be tranny fluid, the tranny is new and has about 2000 miles on it. Its unlikely that its spilled engine oil as I have not added any since the oil change which was a while ago. Tomorrow I plan on pulling the shroud and getting a better look at the water pump even though its not dripping toward the front of the motor. Thanks for all the tips so far.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

That was me.

Yes and yes.

There should be some AC lines, going to the fire wall above that area. Wipe them with a paper towel, look for wetness.
  3. Quikfire

Quikfire Member

Aye Aye Captain. Ill dig into that in the morning.
  4. RayVoy

Have fun, haha
  5. zippstripp

zippstripp Member 1 Year

I noticed that it does have a slightly green tint in the pic. Have you looked at the heater hose fitting in the rear of the intake passenger side? Just a thought,I replaced quite a few.
  6. Quikfire

Quikfire Member

A little update. Yesterday I dove into the burb. No obvious AC leak that I could notice. I found nothing to make me think the water pump was leaking. I looked at firewall and found nothing leaking either. I could not find the heater hose fitting on the intake however and that would make a little sense from a placement standpoint. The freeze plug looks fine. A neighbor suggested to get a pressure test of the radiator done, which I plan on doing tomorrow. Now there is no leak under the burb today, Stumped, but thanks for all the suggestions!
  7. RayVoy

At this point, I would wipe it dry and go for a beer.

Check it every couple of days and worry about it if it comes back (it might be the kid down the street playing an early Halloween trick).
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would pressure test it. If you had a leak it did not fix itself. I had a very slight leak from the gasket on my water pump. It sat in my mother in laws driveway for 2 days and I noticed a spot about the size of a dime under it. I crawled under it but could not find a leak. I got it home and pressure tested it. As soon as I hit 10 psi it started pouring out of the gasket area. When ever you think there is any kind of coolant leak it is best to just pressure test it. you can rent them for free at a parts store. It would stink to think you have a leak that miraculously stopped and you get stranded 50 miles away from home because it turned out to be a loose hose clamp or failing hose.
  9. dbracey

dbracey New Member

Take a GOOD close look at your intake manifold