Water leaks and bed panels

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche Forum (Escalade EXT)' started by carnut802, Nov 4, 2011.

1. carnut802

carnut802 New Member

I was wondering how durable the Avalanche bed panels are over time with hot summers and cold winters to deal with?A friend had a 2007 Avalanche but the cargo bay leaked all the time.He had it in to the dealer multiple times but they could never find where it was leaking.Finally he traded it in.Are water leaks common on this truck? If i bought an Avalanche it would be for 10+ years thats why i have concerns over the bed panels and water leaks.

Thanks

2. RFoster130

RFoster130 Member

My 05 rarely ever leaks. If it is pouring rain, it may get a tiny bit wet. There is a rubber type channel that runs just under the lip of the inside of the panels. That channel should let the water run out the back and dump i believe. The problem with mine is those things detachhed a long time ago and arent working like they should.

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Let's be practical, 3 flat panels set into the lip of a truck bed, each panel is framed in rubber, when assembled, you have rubber pressed into rubber. You wouldn't live in a house that had a roof made in this manor. Yep, it's gonna leak.

But, it's a whole lot dryer than the open bed of a pickup.

I try to park mine with the nose a little higher than the rear, to let the water run off.

4. ARMYtango

ARMYtango Rockstar

My only issue is my Panel #3 sags a bit, and water pools up untill it slowly leaks between the tailgate and the panel's seal.
    All-in-all, however, 99.8% of the bed stays dry...lol

5. Fixer

Fixer New Member

I had my truck stolen last year and got some replacement ones...they leak HORRIBLY!!! Stupid used covers. I tried to adjust the tailgate a little bit but there was not enough in it to seal it up.