1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Water pump dead, now gauges out?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Cobrasix, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Cobrasix

Cobrasix New Member

So 5 miles from my home tonight, my water pump decided to crap out. No warning until I came to a stop and heard some squealing. Checked gauges, nothing wrong yet. 1 mile later I realize I no longer have heat.

I kept driving home, no problems. I parked the truck and turned it off once I saw where the leak was. Now, when it starts, I have no gauges working at all. Truck starts fine, everything runs fine, just no gauges.

Is it possible water spraying around would short gauges sending units out? Is there some other reason now my gauges are dead?

Guess I'll get to change a water pump out over christmas.
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I don't see how spraying water from your wp could take out your guages. Unless belts, pulleys & various pieces were flying around up front ripping wires off the sensors then it's gotta be a different problem.
  3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Year make and model as well would help us out..
  4. First place I would check is the fuse panel. There is often a gauge specific fuse and I would not discount the possibility that water under the hood could have shorted out something and blown a fuse.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Cobrasix

Cobrasix New Member

Sorry, forgot I don't have my signature here.

2004 Silverado 1500 4wd.

I'll be pulling the pump out tomorrow and I'll poke around the fuse panel.
  6. Cobrasix

Cobrasix New Member

Got the water pump and clutch fan swapped out today. The dash cluster is still acting up. On a cold start, it works right away. However if I restart after the truck is warmed up, the cluster will not work for about 2-3 minutes after start up. No dash lights, gauges, odometer, etc. After th 2-3 minutes, it does come on, and goes through the entire start up sequence with the warnings and stuff.

Oh well, maybe after the blizzard I'll look more into it. For now, my goal of getting the truck back up and running prior to the storm was met.