1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Water pump leak??

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ChevyBoy2009, Feb 13, 2011.

1. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member

well i fixed it today!...i ended up taking the pump off and finding the gaskets that connect it to the block were leaking and one had a cut almost all the way thru so i went to NAPA and got some new fel-pro gaskets and that solved the leak...i hope!...the weep hole was completely dry...solved that leak that was happening for alomst a year for 8 bucks :great:
  2. JRD761

JRD761 New Member

Same exact thing I had with my 5.3 at around 80,000 miles.. and sounds like the same kind of leak you were talking about..Thought the water pump was bad, but it just ended up being one of those gaskets!

If you've got the timie and really want to make sure it quit leaking, you should rent a "Coolant System Pressure Tester" from Autozone.. (I don't know about your stores, but mine charges me a $250 deposit, and I get it all back once I return it so it ends up being free). (Most auto parts stores have it, just make sure it has the right connector to screw on to your coolant recovery tank. A lot of places have that connector in a separate kit, so make sure to ask for it!)
    That will allow you to bring the system up to full pressure (which is when 75% of leaks happen), and will cause the leak to occur and you can find out exactly where it's leaking from.
  3. donquixote86

donquixote86 New Member

Easy fix

Yep, it was an easy fix (messy though). Drained the cooling system. Took off the fan shroud, belt, fan, all the hoses going to the water pump, then the water pump. Replaced gaskets with new ones, using RTV, refilled the cooling system. It's been about a month now and no leaks.

Only problem I had was draining the system. I opened the valve at the bottom of the radiator and attached a drain hose. I don't know whether it was mainly rusted at the valve or what, but very little fluid came out and it wasn't at a steady rate either. So when I took off all the hoses and the pump, I made quite a mess since there was still a lot of coolant left in the system. There must be a way to drain all of that out properly.
  4. stinger44

stinger44 New Member

Water Pump Leak

My mechanic identified the same problem with my 2004 5.3L Silverado in that I have a water pump leak. He told me I need to have the pump replaced. Sounds like it could be the gasket and some of you have had success just replacing the gasket material correct? Obviously if the housing is cracked, I would need another pump installed.

Advice?
  5. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member

Its been awhile since ive been on here!...but anyway i would for sure take the pump off and check the gasket for a tear or just worn out...i thought mine was the pump like i said but i took the pump off and it was the gasket!...fixed it for 8 bucks
  6. stinger44

stinger44 New Member

Good to know, I'll check it out first and confirm if it's the gasket. Thanks!
  7. T-bone

T-bone New Member

I have an 01 5.3L and I am guessing it is a WP leak (need to confirm this weekend). my questions are how much coolant does a 5.3L take? going to do this myself this weekend. even if it is the gasket with 150K on the pump I am thinking a prophylactic replacement will save me time in the near future. Going to do the belts as well maybe even the T-sat just for fun.

Can anyone think of anything else they would replace whist it is all open? my hoses look good.

Thanks
  8. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member

T-Bone...for the 2001 5.3L the coolant capacity is around 15.0 quarts. You will prolly have to take off your fan shroud and take off the fan to get to your water pump, easier that way.I would do the belts,thermostat,new water pump(even if its still good),new water pump gasket,clean the motor area up,clean your throttle body,spark plugs and wires(if you havent already).I hope this helps and good luck!...ill be around the computer this weekend so if you need anything PM me and ill help you out!...you will more than likely not be able to get all the coolant out out the cooling system.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  9. T-bone

T-bone New Member

Thanks!!! Water pump is the likely culprit and I just priced out the whole tomato (pump, T-stat, gaskets & belts) so its off to pep boys we go. Should be fun and thanks for the support you just may get solicited for advice :D
  10. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member

Good luck!....just let me kno if you need any advise on anything...ill be around the computer this weekend...make sure you get ALL of the old gasket material off before you install the new one