Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Water pump leaking?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by JRD761, Nov 29, 2010.

1. JRD761

JRD761 Rockstar 100 Posts

2004 Silverado 1500 5.3L V8 83,xxx miles

I noticed the other day that my coolant was a little low.. I topped it off and went on my way.

Today I went out to get in my truck and noticed a small coolant puddle under my truck (about the size of a quarter).

I traced it back up and I think it might be my water pump, but I'm not 100% sure. It's on the front of the motor on the passenger side, and it looks like it's coming from behind the water pump itself.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but don't know what it could be and I know that the V8 Motors aren't too good on water pumps.. any ideas?

(Here are some pics of where I traced the leak back to. It's hard to see, but its really wet behind this plate (that the thermostat is on) and the block of the motor)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Two more questions:
    Can anyone recommend a decent water pump from an aftermarket store? (Pep Boys, Autozone, Carquest?)
    I need to get it running ASAP, and can't get it off an online place..

Secondly, what kind of coolant should I use? Dex-Cool?

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I would have a pressure test done first, this will make it easier to find the leak. If it is the water pump I would use a NAPA pump and I've never had a problem with Dex-Cool. Try taking a small mirror and flash light to look under the water pump for leaks.

3. JRD761

JRD761 Rockstar 100 Posts

I took it all apart and found that the gasket on the passenger side of the pump had gone bad and was causing it to leak.. the little o-ring inside the metal piece was just completely torn apart. I couldn't see anywhere on the actual pump where it might have been leaking.. I drove it for a while and we will let it sit and see..

I don't have a pressure tester to test it that way, and can't find anyone that rents one out that has the right adapter for our caps on the coolant recovery tank

4. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

When these pumps leak the coolant runs down the driver side of the motor, down the pan, and drops around oil filter. It's most likely just the gasket.

But if you do have to replace the pump, there are a few things you need to know. Before you take the belt off, us a large crescent wrench and put it on the fan clutch where it threads to the water pump pulley. Tap it with a hammer a coupe of times in the direction opposite that it spins to loosen it and then spin it off by hand. Be careful not to let it fall into the radiator as it might damage it. Other than that, good luck on everything.

5. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

Another tip for removing the fan nut if you do not have a large crecsent, but have an impact hammer. Get a bit with a point and grind it down about to the size of a pencil eraser. Put the tip near a corner and gradually pull the trigger and the nut should just walk off.

6. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You can do this with a long punch and a hammer. I used a punch to remove my fan clutch but said to use a large wrench because it won't mess anything up like a punch potentially could.