water pump pulley

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by engineerbrian, Jul 17, 2010.

  1. engineerbrian

    engineerbrian Member

    I changed out my belt, tensioner and idler pully today and figured i may as well change out the water pump/fan pulley since it has some age on it. to my suprise i cant find it anywhere online or local. Any thoughts?

    Also, I'm due to change my heater hoses and i was thinking about doing away with those damn quick connect fittings and going with a simple barb fitting. has any done this with any success? I want to switch over because i have little faith in the quick connects...i had one blow in rush hour a few years ago and havent liked them since.

  2. engineerbrian

    engineerbrian Member

    Ok so i've searched the web and found out that chevy quick connect heater hoses cant be swapped out for regular ol' hoses with barbed fittings. Apparentley they are an odd ball metric size.


    as for the fan / water pump pulley...still searching

    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  3. tbplus10

    tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

    Yea those stupid quick connects arent a standard NPT fitting.
    The only way I've seen them swapped out was by tapping new NPT threads and inserting a barbed/threaded fitting.
  4. wis bang

    wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

    Why bother changing the WP pulley? My '88 S-10 had the original pulley when I sold it at 306,000mi. I switched it to a new water pump when I installed the Crate Engine @ 196,269.2mi and, as far as I can tell, is still on the truck three years after I sold it...Yeah I had to replace the tensioner...
  5. engineerbrian

    engineerbrian Member

    yeah, i hear ya wis bang. i just figured i was there so i may as well change it too, but since it's not readily available it's staying on.


Share This Page

Newest Gallery Photos