1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

water pump replacement

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bowtiebrian, Apr 28, 2009.

1. bowtiebrian

bowtiebrian New Member

Need to replace the water pump on my 3500 Duramax, does anyone have any tips or know any tricks? In particular, the removal of the harmonic balancer? I hear that there is a special part (naturally) that GM has that gets inserted into the starter location to prevent the crankshaft from turing as you remove the harmonic bolt. Any tips or tricks would be much appreciated
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I can tell you tht my sisters ex boyfriend is a GM mechanic and you have to take the front grill bumper and rad support of some kind to do anything on that motor, in his words 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag, so good luck, maybe someone else can give you a better answer or tips.