1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

water pump

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 250rman79, Oct 31, 2010.

1. 250rman79

250rman79 New Member

I have a 2004 silverado w/ 6.0, my truck quit throwing heat so I picked up a thermostat but before I could change it I started to hear a rubbing noise when idling now I am wondering if the water pump is going bad, also my temp gauge goes up to about 240 deg?
  2. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Hey 250, welcome to the GM truck club.
    High engine temp, no heat, & noise from the water pump. I think the impeller is spinning on the wp shaft so it can't circulate the water. The wp shaft is still turning, but the impeller is not turning 1 to 1 with it. This is the rubbing noise you're hearing. Water pumps are easy to do. Right up front and easily accessable. Even if you don't have much mechanical experience this is a good first project. We can walk you through it if you have any problems.