water spots?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by freddie, Oct 14, 2012.

1. freddie

freddie New Member

How do you remove water spots from windows and windshield?
  2. pilotj

pilotj New Member

3. Mook@Adams

Mook@Adams New Member

Freddie,

There are a couple ways to go about removing hard water spots from your windshield. Sure, you can polish those away with some sort of Swirl and Haze Remover. You can also, and I've had good results with this, use .0000 steel wool and some denatured alcohol. This method is for GLASS only.

-
    Mook
    1 person likes this.
  4. The Heater

The Heater New Member

You can also use a detailing clay bar (and water). Do not rub hard.

Diamondite makes a kit for removal of stains from auto glass. Check them out. I have had good luck using just plain old white vinegar if the spots are not too old. If they are old, you are looking at some kind of mild abrasive. Like what Diamondite sells.
    1 person likes this.
  5. stchman

stchman New Member

Do you live in an area with real hard water? If yes, try a little bit of CLR on a cloth. Be careful not to get the CLR on your paint, and if you do you, rinse thoroughly and re-apply wax.
  6. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member

i used the "softest" steel wool, and simple green, and just kinda polished the glass... then washed the whole truck... worked great!!
  7. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member

Prep-sol... stuffs awesome.
  8. Blamer

Blamer New Member

Quite a couple solutions to go in relation to removing hard water spots out of your windshield. Sure, you can certainly polish individuals away with getting some sort of Swirl along with haze eliminator. You may also and We have had achievement with this particular usage.
  9. marksoldtowne

marksoldtowne New Member

hi freddie,
    Something simple would be mixing equal parts of distilled water & white vinegar.This mixture removes the water spot on the surface due to mineral deposit sitting on the surface. if you have etching below the surface then you will need a compound & a polish.
  10. JimmyA

JimmyA Member

RainX is the "Greatest" to repel water! JMHO
  11. XS ive

XS ive New Member

I have heard about the vinegar trick. saturate a newspaper with vinegar(it holds it longer) and let it sit on the window. It will soften the the mineral deposit to be removed.
  12. treitz3

treitz3 New Member

Hello, Freddie. While prevention is always the best cure, the question has already been answered by fellow forum members but I will echo their sentiments just based upon my own personal experience. Use Rain-ex to prevent, a water/vinegar mixture to remove most all spots and for seriously embedded spots, use CLR.

Please note: This is ONLY for windows. Do not try the CLR on any other surface.

Tom
  13. jake's silverado

jake's silverado New Member

Hmmm. Why not dry the windows then use an inexpensive glass cleaner, one neighbour uses his shop vac as a blower to dry windows and around the grill. He swears by it. Did I answer the question or did I miss the whole point? Someone said prevention! And yes RainX on a clean windshield or side glass, that stuff is the best.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm. Why not dry the windows then use an inexpensive glass cleaner, one neighbour uses his shop vac as a blower to dry windows and around the grill. He swears by it. Did I answer the question or did I miss the whole point? Someone said prevention! And yes RainX on a clean windshield or side glass, that stuff is the best.