1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

water spots :-( !!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by suburban2500, Nov 17, 2009.

1. suburban2500

suburban2500 Member

ok its a 2006 and the previous owner must have parke infront of a sprinkler ever day or something all my windows have hard water build up so bad its totally visible and when it rains it is hard to see out of at night it makes my sideview mirrrors almost useless ive tried rain x cleaner and treatment meguires glass cleaner windex mother class a spray foam class cleaner soap water and even some soapy window cleaner nothing even made a difference anyidea what will remove it im ready to take compound to my windows with a buffing wheel??????????
  2. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I've used #0000 steel wool, and a razor blade, and chrome cleaner, and wax...

I've had some success with the blade, and the wax keeps new spots from forming, but I haven't gotten rid of all of it.

Good luck,
  3. dvharris

dvharris New Member

Try some chrome or aluminum polish. some of the finer metal polishes will do it pretty good. Also try Magic Erasers or I will even use the Glass stove cooktop cleaner my wife uses.
  4. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I use a fine rubbing compund...
  5. Snyder729

Snyder729 Rockstar

when i detailed cars at my local chevy dealership we used a type of acid and razor blades and steel wool.
  6. dsrtne1

dsrtne1 Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

A little secret of mine...however i've never had a situation that sounds as severe as yours, I use water and vinegar mixed. Removes any hard water spots for me on my truck. But if your going to have to use razor blades and steel wool my method is probably useless. Just wanted to get it out there to others who have problems with waterspots.
  7. suburban2500

suburban2500 Member

thanks guys ill try it today and let you know how it goes
  8. XS ive

XS ive Rockstar 100 Posts

Interesting. I have extremely hard water as well. How much vinegar do you add to the water? Would it help to add it to water for final rinse regularly?
  9. dvharris

dvharris New Member

i've used vinegar many times as well. You can use straight vinegar on the glass, wont hurt it. The big thing with it though is getting it to stay on the glass long enough to eat the minerals in the water spots, it tends to evaporate. So, try spraying it on and then setting a thing sheet of plastic, like a cheap paint drop cloth, against the glass. It works ok, but gravity will still draw the vinegar down. If they are real bad spots, you can wet down newspaper sheets with vinegar and set them against the glass, you only need maybe 2 sheets thick, and let that sit for a long while. you can spray them with vinegar in a spray bottle if they start to dry. After a while, peel the newspaper off and wipe them down.
    Good luck!
  10. dsrtne1

dsrtne1 Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

I usually use 50% water, 50% vinegar. And I'm not sure about adding vinegar to your final rinse. Personally I wouldn't be able to deal with the scent.