Water temp cycling high and low

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Kraziken, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

I already have a guess, but I'm not sure.

Running an errand today, I noticed a "check gauges" warning and I noticed the water temperature was near the top warning level.

I immediately pulled over, but just as soon as I did that, the temperature dropped back to normal. I decided to keep going toward my destination. The water temps never did get that high again, but I noticed it would cycle a bit high and low.

I'm going to make a random guess that it might be the thermostat that is going. Any other ideas?

Thanks

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Could be the thermostat sticking or coolant level low.

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

T-stat is cheap!

What year you driven, could be time for a power flush.

4. JavierS

JavierS New Member

yea i would check both the termostat and coolant or could also be ur water pump

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Sounds like what I had years ago with my 90 IROC Camero, turned out to be the transmission was overheating (ended up having it rebuilt) and the tranny cooler went threw the radiator so it cause the engine temp to go up. When I pulled over and let idle the water temp went back down.

6. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

Forgot to reply back.
    Had a pressure test did the full service check (they talked me into it), and it turned out to be what I suspected in the first place.

Some hoses were leaking a little,but I was broke just about to leave on vacation on the weekend, so I had them just replace the t-stat. Engine temps are rock solid now.