1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Wax on Wax off ~ What Brand of Wax to use?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by 2mOOn, Jun 26, 2011.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. 2mOOn

2mOOn New Member

I'm looking for suggestions and/or opinions regarding brands of wax to use. Yea, it's a brand new truck, but it just ain't slick enough for me.

Please post your favorite brand (liquid or paste), application/removal techniques, types of applicators, types of removal materials (terry cloth, micro fiber, etc), or anything else you want to add.

Thanks.

LB

2. Blackout07

Blackout07 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I've never used it, but one of my buddies swears by this stuff:

http://www.collinite.com/

I've never really used anything that really wowed me.

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. I use Meguairs Mirror Glaze # 26 Yellow wax, its comes in paste and liquid, I've always used the liquid. Apply with foam pad and remove micro fiber cloth. The foam pad and micro fiber cloth are also from Meguairs. If you go to my lastest picture album you can see a picture of myself taken in the door of my truck. The truck is over 6 years old.

4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Mothers Gold Pure on my ride......Good for 6 months....

5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I use the Mother's 3 step wax. It is a liquid. The first step is a cleaner. Even though you wash the truck first there is still "stuff" left on the paint. It is basically a light rubbing compound. The second step is a polish. The last step is a carnuba wax. I started to use this stuff in the early 90's when I bought a used s10 that the paint didn't have that pop to it. I used these products on the truck and it brought the luster back to the truck. It is time consuming but I am a lot OCD about how clean my truck is. I only use this stuff twice a year. Maybe three times depending on how much I take it off road. I apply all three steps with the round applicators you get from AutoZone. I think they are a padded terry cloth but not sure. Then I remove it with a standard terry cloth. I use a different applicator for each step and do the same to remove it also.

6. 2mOOn

2mOOn New Member

I appreciate y'all taking the time to respond. I'll keep these suggestions in mind when I go shopping.

LB

7. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I use Turtle wax. I use the liquid for regular waxes (once a year) & use the paste with an orbital buffer if I have any fine scratches to take out in between times. The paste has a little more polishing compound in it than the liquid seems to.

8. gss

gss New Member

I have had good luck with an 'all-in-one' product called Klasse. Use it after removing grit with a clay bar.

9. Honestly, it just boils down to using a good soap to clean the truck, then a good quality clay bar, followed by a good quality liquid wax. Use microfiber applicators and towels and you should be good to go. Always wax in the shade never in direct sun. This is the low budget advise!!!!!

10. mkballance

mkballance New Member

I bought my truck in June, 2010 Silverado. Because it is new, I didn't use any kind of cleaner wax, as that would have removed some of the clear coat. I used Mothers California Gold, Pure Carnauba Wax. It is still good after nine months, with all the salt and pollen, the laser wash still cleans it, and rain beads like crazy. Definitely put it on in the shade.

Kent