1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wax on Wax off ~ What Brand of Wax to use?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by 2mOOn, Jun 26, 2011.

1. The Heater

The Heater Member

I remember Rain Dance. I am pretty sure it was made by DuPont, which is no longer in the consumer product side of automotive finish products. They do still sell two grades of consumer rubbing compound, however.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I wash and dry my truck. Then I claybar it. I then use a foam pad on my buffer and use Meguire's #7 pure polish. It looks like a mirror when done with that step. Finally, I use a paste wax like turtle wax or a meguiers paste. That seems to seal the polish and I can get a good 6 months out of it still looking like a mirror. Before winter rolls around I always put a coat of nufinish on it. It goes all winter and everytime I wash it, it shines like crazy.
  3. The Heater

The Heater Member

Just detailed front half of my Infiniti.

1. wash with Turtle Wax Blue Ice car soap;
    2. clay bar all paint surfaces to be detailed (Mequiars or 3M)
    3. RO polisher set on a high speed, Sonus white polishing pad - Sonus Swirl Mark Remover on all panels;
    4. go over panels with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze;
    5. liquid Mother's Pure Carnuba Wax.

I use other products as well. Before this detailing, I had gone over the front half of the car with Klasse All In One. It works great as a light cleaner (non abrasive), takes out most water spots and dirt, and leaves a weather resistant coating.

If I have more cleaning to do and don't have a lot of time, I use Kit Wax after going over with a clay bar, or Super Hard Shell Turtle Wax after the clay bar. Both will do a great job of cleaning the paint in one step, and leave a durable wax finish.
  4. Lakeman

Lakeman New Member

I use Griot's cleaner wax, works really well!
  5. Agent86

Agent86 New Member

6. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

I really like Liquid Lustre (the pink stuff), and Zymol is really good as well.
  7. dutzowmo

dutzowmo New Member

I mostly use turtle wax and also use mothers. Never had any luck with meguiars. Seemed to last half of what the other two do. I typically hand wax 4 or 5 times a year with the turtle wax ice in between.
  8. yotchie

yotchie Member

sorry if im intruding on this thread but everyone here seems to know what there talking about. has anyone ever heard of FW! wash and wax. i was at costco and they were selling the cans in 3packs. they are aerosol cans and they say wash and wax on it. i have a 12 silverado that i purchased last summer and im not sure if i want to try it. i dont want to remove any clear coat or risk ruining my paint. my first brand new vehicle. my gf wants to try it on her 08 G5 but i dont want to steer her in a bad direction either. the rep that was at costco said this is new to canada. so im hoping fellow members in the U.S or places in canada that had it before i saw it may have heard of this stuff.

yay..nay? any input would be welcomed thanks
    20130417_190528.jpg
  9. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member ROTM Winner

I like the Adams line of products... I recommend getting a sealer on first... it will protect your paint from oxidation... then wax. I usually apply mine with machine buffer/polisher. If you go with and orbital buffer you clay bar it first.
  10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Turtle Wax Ice, here, too. I use paste, not the liquid, as I have more control over how much is used.

I also use the same brand spray detailer while claying.