1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wax?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by anthonyl9, Aug 23, 2009.

1. anthonyl9

anthonyl9 New Member

Can anyone reccomend a good wax? I use to use Mother's years ago, got out of doing my own detailing due to lack of time. I want to get back into it, but want to know if there have been any new products that are good and easy to use...else I can go back to ole faithful!
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

The Mother's clay bar system is very good and you will be pleased with the results. It's a little extra work using the clay bar but it gets the paint clean before applying the wax. This makes the job look better and last longer.
  3. kgibson181

kgibson181 New Member 1000 Posts

Yeah just go back to old faithful mothers. Never used a wax that stood up to the mothers' performance.
  4. 97chevz71

97chevz71 New Member

I would hit it with some adams clay and detail spray. IF you are doing it by hand then hit it with Adams revive polish mixed with a little swirl and haze remover. Then i would hit it with the Adams americana paste wax. and if you dont want to spend that much but bet me its worth then i would hit it with the butter wax. The ticket is to get two to three lights coats. Then after that i would hit everything you crome windows and pain with adams brilliant spray glaze. And you dont have to do all these step if you dont want to. you can just put the wax on. But the result will be better. And Mothers wont stand a chance.
  5. canislupis69

canislupis69 New Member 1000 Posts

Has anyone tried "Ice" wax. They make a clay bar kit as well. They claim it leaves no white residue and since I have a black truck this is a big deal to me. It seems like no matter how careful I am removing the wax, the next day I always end up with white residue in the more hard to get places.
  6. kgibson181

kgibson181 New Member 1000 Posts

Never heard of that, might check it out though when I go to wax my truck next. The no residue thing sounds like a seller to me
  7. canislupis69

canislupis69 New Member 1000 Posts

If I remember right it is made by turtle wax. I saw it at Walmart, it looks to cost about the same as Mothers.
  8. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I bought that Turtle Wax "Ice Wax" when it first came out, and honestly I hated it. I used it on my dark blue S-10, and yes it's nice not to have the white residue but at the same time it's not. It dries clear so you can't tell where you have gone over, and I felt like I forgot to wax half of the truck due to this. I ended up going over it with regular wax that I could see dry on the paint.

I have always used truckers wax or Finish 2001 which is really good application and removal wise. My friend just waxed his truck with Zymol, and I was super impressed with it's shine. I will be buying that for my truck from now on, it is a liquid paste and not a rubbing compound so it's easy to take off.
  9. heavy chevy

heavy chevy New Member

go to and check out the voodo line of car care products. It is some good stuff.
  10. Tdaz250

Tdaz250 New Member

Meguires!

I love meguires. I have alot of their products and i'd say their clay bar kit + the tech wax 2.0(its purple) is awesome. I waxed + claybared back in like feb. and its still feels great. Not to dis mothers but i thought that the mothers clay bar kit was not as good as the meguires(i bought both, used the meguires on my truck, mothers on my moms BMW and I think the meguires just did a better job getting all the gunk off of the paint)