Way to adjust shift points on my '91?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by bigburb, Dec 15, 2009.

Newest Photos

1. bigburb

bigburb New Member 100 Posts

Huys guys, I've been meaning to post about this but I kept getting too lazy haha...

Anyway, under normal acceleration in my truck, it will shift from 1-2 at about 12mph, from 2-3 at about 19-20mph, and from 3-O.D. at about 37. I can feel the power drop off when it shifts from 2-3 and from 3-O.D., because to me, it feels like its shifting too early.

I'm fine with the 1-2 shift, but is there a way I could bump the 2-3 shift point to about 24 or 25 mph and the 3-O.D. to about 44 or 45 under normal acceleration (without just pressing the pedal harder lol), while still keeping the floored shift points to a max of about 4,500 RPM or somewhere around there?

I've never really dealt with this before, so I'm clueless at this. Oh and while I'm at it, I'll ask this - the 1-2 shift is real tight/quick/firm (like it has a shift kit in it), while the 2-3 and 3-O.D. shifts are like normal. There's no stranges noises when it shifts, either. Should I be concerned about this? I hope it's nothing to worry about, because I like it!!

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm drawin' a blank here... :rules:
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  2. ahm1127

ahm1127 New Member 100 Posts

B&M use to have a control box that wired into truck with a switch to choose your shift firmness. I had it on my 97 Yukon & it worked great. it was also cheap.
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You can adjust your TV cable for a later firmer 2-3 and 3-4 shift but it may make the 1-2 too firm. Try it. Shorten the adjustment about 1/8" to start and see how it feels. The other way to do it is with a valve body kit.