1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

ways to improve MPG's

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by fireaxe, May 1, 2012.

1. fireaxe

fireaxe New Member

hello all, new to the club and have a couple question'sd. i am in VA own a blk 2011 1500 silverado ext cab 4x4, i am in need of som e suggestions on fuel economy tips, exhaust, intake, throttle body spacer's ect... any help would be great...
  2. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The best mod you can do to improve fuel economy is to install a vacuum gauge. Use it to re-train yourself on some new driving habits. Make sure tires are inflated properly and do a complete tune up.

Throttle Body spacers and cold air intakes will give you marginal gains (if any at all). with bolt on mods, you may see a 1-3 mpg difference at best, and that is after several mods... not just one item.
  3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

4. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, it is good to have you as a part of our team. :glasses:
  5. osgprometheus

osgprometheus Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I was going to say a light foot. But that's a great idea too.
  6. moogvo

Lighter boots always make a good mod... But at the same time, anyone buying these trucks had to know beforehand that they are not going to get Prius-like mileage. There's only so much you can do! I had a '93 Suburban that got about 10 and wouldn't even pull a pop-up camper with the A/C running... Then again, I had a 02 Explorer Sport that got 9 no matter what I did... That was with a new engine...
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

More than a year ago when I was looking to buy my first truck (I was a sports car guy, before that) I was looking at compact trucks for mpg reasons. Then I compared their mpg to full-size trucks and noted they were, at best, ~1mpg better unless the compact was also a manual, in which case it was more like 2mpg. That's when I bit the bullet and went full-size, as it wasn't enough to sweat and the added utility was preferred.

To the original poster:
    Welcome to GMTC! As for what can be done to improve mpg, well, a CAI really only has benefit at WOT, which is not something you'll be doing if you're mpg-conscious. Your absolute best bang for the buck in terms of mods will be a programmer and a custom tune. A stock tune from a programmer will help, by itself, but gains are more significant if you get a custom tune to go with it.

Surreal
  8. moogvo

Yeah, I noticed that there wasn't a notable gain in economy from small truck to real truck, so I ditched small truck and went real truck. LOL!
  9. jfk

jfk Member 100 Posts

Welcome to the site.
  10. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Well we all like to drive faster than required but I recommend keeping your speed around 65 on the highway. I get at least 16-17 that way versus the 14.8 going 80 ;-). Although, going 80 then letting it roll down a hill gives you 99 instant MPGs. I put an exhaust on my truck and I'm sure it helps some but I didn't see huge gains. I've heard mixed reviews on the CAI and TB so I haven't bothered with spending the money on them.