ways to improve MPG's

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by fireaxe, May 1, 2012.

1. fireaxe

fireaxe New Member

hello all, new to the club and have a couple question'sd. i am in VA own a blk 2011 1500 silverado ext cab 4x4, i am in need of som e suggestions on fuel economy tips, exhaust, intake, throttle body spacer's ect... any help would be great...

2. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The best mod you can do to improve fuel economy is to install a vacuum gauge. Use it to re-train yourself on some new driving habits. Make sure tires are inflated properly and do a complete tune up.

Throttle Body spacers and cold air intakes will give you marginal gains (if any at all). with bolt on mods, you may see a 1-3 mpg difference at best, and that is after several mods... not just one item.

3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

4. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, it is good to have you as a part of our team. :glasses:

5. osgprometheus

osgprometheus Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I was going to say a light foot. But that's a great idea too.

6. moogvo

Lighter boots always make a good mod... But at the same time, anyone buying these trucks had to know beforehand that they are not going to get Prius-like mileage. There's only so much you can do! I had a '93 Suburban that got about 10 and wouldn't even pull a pop-up camper with the A/C running... Then again, I had a 02 Explorer Sport that got 9 no matter what I did... That was with a new engine...

7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

More than a year ago when I was looking to buy my first truck (I was a sports car guy, before that) I was looking at compact trucks for mpg reasons. Then I compared their mpg to full-size trucks and noted they were, at best, ~1mpg better unless the compact was also a manual, in which case it was more like 2mpg. That's when I bit the bullet and went full-size, as it wasn't enough to sweat and the added utility was preferred.

To the original poster:
    Welcome to GMTC! As for what can be done to improve mpg, well, a CAI really only has benefit at WOT, which is not something you'll be doing if you're mpg-conscious. Your absolute best bang for the buck in terms of mods will be a programmer and a custom tune. A stock tune from a programmer will help, by itself, but gains are more significant if you get a custom tune to go with it.

Surreal

8. moogvo

Yeah, I noticed that there wasn't a notable gain in economy from small truck to real truck, so I ditched small truck and went real truck. LOL!

9. jfk

jfk Member 100 Posts

Welcome to the site.

10. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Well we all like to drive faster than required but I recommend keeping your speed around 65 on the highway. I get at least 16-17 that way versus the 14.8 going 80 ;-). Although, going 80 then letting it roll down a hill gives you 99 instant MPGs. I put an exhaust on my truck and I'm sure it helps some but I didn't see huge gains. I've heard mixed reviews on the CAI and TB so I haven't bothered with spending the money on them.