Weak horn on 2001 Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by McClintoc, Jul 23, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Does anyone else who has a NBS truck (99-06) think their horn is not loud enough? I think my horn is very puny sounding and it has been that way since I got it.

Are there any aftermarket, direct replacement horns for 99-06 Silverados that are a little more intimidating? I'm not looking for a train horn here, just something more noticeable than my OE weaksauce.
  2. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What kind of Silverado do you have? If you have the W/T, then the horns are weak. The W/T trim package only puts a single horn, the next packages up put in two horns.

I had a 95 and 98 W/T and they had some weak sounding horns.
  3. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 New Member 100 Posts

Yeah they are really weak, my NBS is LS trim also. I don't know why GM went with that wimpy horn but I do not use the horn at all so it doesn't bother me enough to change it.

But I think you should go big and do train horns :lol:
  4. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

@stchman It's an LS. Other than leather seats and 4x4, it has just about every option Chevy put in the Silverado in 2001.

@ChromeSilver02 Train horns would be funny. It would be a sleeper when it comes to the horn.
  5. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Interesting, on the NNBS the LS is considered one of the lower packages, below the LT and LTZ.
  6. McClintoc

It was the same back then but no LTZ. It was work truck, LS then LT but my truck has a lot of options in it for an LS.
  7. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

this weak horn I found is because the horn [LOW TONE] on the passenger side is burned out. what I found is water enters this horn with its mounting. It is recommended to adhere insect screen over the opening to reduce water . also try to mount horn so it points downward and therefore not get much water in it.
  8. McClintoc

We're talking about the horn here, not the engine.
  9. pmf608

pmf608 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My '01 Silverado was the same way, and so is my '03 Sierra that i use for work. It's because GM made the second horn that makes the low note a $20 option. I've always felt that a $20 price increase for something as simple as a horn should have been standard and nobody would have cared about $20 in the price of a new truck.
  10. McClintoc

So, are there any good (loud) aftermarket horns or am I looking at a new OE-replacement?