Weather. . . This is just plain Nasty !

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by JTWard, Jan 3, 2014.

1. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

Wow, here in SE Pennsylvania it's 15 degrees. Wind blowing the snow so much it looks like a 3D fog. How the Hell do you folks in Nebraska of up in International Fall, when it's -35 degrees keep you engine from not cracking in half or popping out freeze-out plugs ? when I was in the navy, another construction battalion had a dedicated company that went you Antarctica every winter, it at times got to be -45 below and they could not shut off he diesel duce and a half's for more than 1 minute or otherwise the intake air was too cold to start the engine again So they did oil changes on the trucks with the engines running. They' pump oil into the engine till I ran out the valve in the pan light yellow, then timed the oil going in to the engine to the time the oil pan valve is shut off.

2. the phantom

the phantom Well-Known Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

That oil change thing is kinda crazy... I had a 99 GMC jimmy that had a heater plug on it that must have been installed because it was from up that way where it gets real cold.
    Im working in Cameron County in Pa and it was 5 degrees f today. Started out at -2f. Working outside all day. My work definitely seperates the men from the boys.:lol:Excavators and dump trucks dont want to start. air compressors freezing up. Trust me.... Im sick of it. suppose to be -6 this coming tuesday and Im really not looking forward to that at all. Might have to use a vacation day but if I take off... My whole crew has to take off.

3. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

That's pretty normal. When I was in the Army in 1968, they sent me to Korea. -20, -30 at night in the winter there too. -10 to +10 in the daytime for weeks on end. They'd leave the vehicles running 24/7 there too. That made it easy for the Slicky Boys to make off with 'em.

I've seen it so cold there that diesel fuel and fresh human pee would freeze into a mound on contact with the ground. Don't ask me for details.:lol:

It's pretty cold here in Central Florida too, at least by local standards. It's windy and about +45 F. I've only been out of Maryland for a year and a half, so it doesn't feel all that cold to me, but I saw two people at the Winn-Dixie in freaking down parka's.

4. grampy

grampy Member 100 Posts

We have been in and out of the minus numbers since a week before thanksgiving. Some winters are just that way. We just deal with it around here. our worst day so far this winter was -34F. It got to 40F today but at 5PM the temp is falling fast, supposed to be in the minus numbers by morning & stay that way through the weekend. The weather guessers think we will see up to 6" more snow ( we have plenty now ) plus high winds. It's going to be 'interesting'. Usually don't have start up problems. The feed truck (a Dodge diesel), my backhoe and one four wheel dr farm tractor are not only kept inside but & all have block heaters on timers. As for the human factor- I'm sick of it too, but cows have to be fed. I still get up in the morning and thank the lord for another day. Then go out and get er done.

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I was on the winter-over crew at at McMurdo station twice in the early 90's with VXE-4, we werent allowed to turn off our vehicles unless we had them in the hanger/tent where it was normally a balmy -15.
    We had 2 different sno cat tractors, one had an engine compartment that opened into the cab and was heated by the cab heat which was engine heat and 3 electric heaters.
    The other model tractor had the exhaust pipe routed into the engine compartment to maintain heat, it was a sealed compartment and intake air came from the cab. It also used 3 electric heaters and engine heat for the cab.
    They were both air cooled engines and used dry sump oil systems that you could flush oil through to change.
    We also used to carry a hose to attach to the exhaust and place in the engine compartment on another vehicle incase it stalled or had been turned off, this way you could thaw the block and fuel system out.

6. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I bought a road runner several years ago that was from oshkosh wisconsin, it had a 110 plug in the grill that warmed up the water and oil, the hood would be free of snow and ice and the heater toasty warm the minute you started her up, that was a nice feature.

7. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

I hear you brother Your one of the guys I'm talking about. Back in the 70's it was amazing to me how you got anything done. It's -45 degrees ? How the hell you got through. . . ?