weathertech mud flaps

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by reggiecab2000, Aug 27, 2012.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

should i put some on the rear of my truck, or front and rear??? or not at all????? wish i could see some pictures of mud flaps on anyone trucks!!!

2. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Do you have tires that extend beyond the wheel wells, or are you just doing this for aesthetics?

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Flaps are a pain in the butt to size for non-OEM tire sizes...

4. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

@reggiecab2000
    I have about 4 pics in my profile.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/album.php?albumid=21680&attachmentid=42231#axzz24qvKB43Q

5. reggiecab2000

yes my tires stick out a little bit, a little bit more than the fender flares cover, i wanna do it more for stopping throwing sand all over the back of my truck when on the beach, but if they looked like crap of course id rather leave it how it is now

6. SurrealOne

For the very same reason I would probably have added flaps if I wouldn't have had to go through 50 million sets to find a set that will work with my flares and big tires. I can't be bothered. Good look in your quest for the mud flaps of Arthurian legend. :)

7. reggiecab2000

haha nice wording,
    well i know plenty of brands that fit and are made for my truck with OEM fender flares, (my tires are only 305/70R16, basically 33X12.5 almost), but I am just trying to figure out if it would look as good as im HOPING that it would function, for once google images does not appear to be helpful LOL

8. SurrealOne

IMHO, if flaps aren't as wide as the flares then it'll look goofy. Similarly, from a technical standpoint if the flaps aren't as wide as the tires then they won't do their jobs terribly well. That's where it gets interesting ... flaps wide enough to do their jobs for tires that stick out ... will be wider than OEM flares ... and will also look goofy. Food for thought.

9. reggiecab2000

hmmm... guess ill just have to do some looking then... if not then just stick with no flaps

10. reggiecab2000

well i saw i white lifted dodge 1500 today, with 35x12.50-18 tires on it and they stick out a bit with a nicely offset wheel, and hes got some mud flaps on there (OEM i assume) from the side they look nice but standing behind the truck you can see how the tire is wider on the inside and outside of the mudflap, so i cant really see much practicality in that flap, other than just catching "most" of the mud, dirt, sand, etc., so functionality does not seem to be worth it.