1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Weekend projects

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by pacman1, Jun 22, 2012.

1. pacman1

pacman1 New Member

I'm planning on doing a couple of projects on my new Burb this weekend. Any advice is appreciated. Burb is a 99 K1500 with AutoTrac with 180k miles.

First I'm tackling the FI/Manifold/TB/IAC/PCV removal, clean and reinstall. Hopefully this will clear up the rough idle issue. I have this manifold gasket set waiting for me at the parts store, but I notice it says does not include manifold bolts. Are there gaskets or O-rings on the manifold bolts that should b replaced as well? I also learned that Fel-Pro had an improved set for my 03 Burb, but so far I haven't seen anything like that for the 99 5.7.

Next up is sticky/slow door locks. Plan of attack there is to clean all the linkages and rods in the doors to hopefully free them up. If that doesn't fix them then I'll move on to the relay and actuators.

Pointers and tips welcome and appreciated. Happy weekend to everyone!
  2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

That sounds like a good starting spot. Do you have any issues other than what you have given?
    I hope where ever you are doing this work has A/C. Cause in Texas it has to be hotter than 2 rats... well you get the idea.
  3. pacman1

pacman1 New Member

You're right about the heat. I'll try to get most of this stuff done in the morning before it gets too hot, or late in the evening when it's cooled all the way down to 85 lol.

No other major issues that I'm going to tackle yet. I'll eventually need to buy a front driveshaft and both half shafts. The PO removed them somewhere along the line to "save on gas". And of course, they were lost in the shuffle of trading it in so now I have to buy all new ones.
  4. oldmanstruck

oldmanstruck New Member

I too have a "sticky" hard to lock door lock on my 88

I think the actuator is the casue since I have the door panel removed and don't believe the linkages and rods are the cause.
    In my case, I can lock it easily but when unlock, I sometime have to press it twice so the door lock knob could pop all the way up. (It's hard to pull manually as well)
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

You arent driving it without the half shafts installed are you?
    You know without the shafts installed the front bearings have a bad habit of self destructing, I wouldnt even tow with the front wheels on the ground without the shafts installed.
  6. pacman1

pacman1 New Member

I think that ship has long since sailed. The PO pulled those axles and shaft several years ago and according to the receipts put on about about 100k miles on it after that.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  7. pacman1

pacman1 New Member

Stayed outside a little longer than I wanted today, but I got the intake removed, cleaned, resealed, and reinstalled. I think I freaked my neighbors out with all the smoke coming out of the tail pipe of the Burb. Seafoam is awesome stuff, but it smokes like a freight train when burning through an engine. The throttle body and plenum were the worst, with tons of carbon and gunk caked up on the inside. I also cleaned the IAC valve and replaced the PCV valve. The Burb runs 95% better. The idle is almost perfect, with just a hint of roughness. No more spitting and sputtering at all, and it moves away from a stop smooth as silk.

The only thing I regret not treplacing is the injection spider. It's pretty pricey so I didn't want to, but after going through all the trouble of pulling the plenum and manifold, I probably should have just done it. Ah well...

Let me just say that the 03 is WAAAAAAY easier to work on than the 99. That intake was a royal PITA to R&R. All the wires and hoses are just so much better sorted out on the 03, and there seems to be way fewer of them to deal with.

I think I probably go ahead and replace the IAC and the coil, cap, rotor, wires, and plugs, and hopefully that will get me the last 5% smoothed out. Thats a poject for next weekend. I'm done for today, and tomorrow morning is yardwork day. Now it's time to crack a coldie and put the Rangers game on.

Go Rangers!
  8. BoneHead

BoneHead New Member

I did some of the same stuff on my 98 Burban a while back, but I had to change the spider out. It's why I took the plenum apart. Runs great now. Just wanted to give a little tip on the locks. I did this to mine and it seemed to help quite a bit. After I inspected the linkages looking for bends or breaks, I used some purple grease in every place that it could rub against something. Still had to replace one of the actuators, but the others work much better.
  9. pacman1

pacman1 New Member

I appreciate the tip Bonehead. Is the purple grease you mentioned a Royal Purple product?
  10. BoneHead

BoneHead New Member

No. I think it's just purple colored axle bearing grease. Not sure, haven't paid much attention to the package in a while. I've had the thing for about 8 years now lol.