1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

weight distributing hitch with load leveling

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by efitty, Jul 2, 2009.

1. efitty

efitty New Member

Hello everyone,

I have a 2002 Suburban with the 8.1L engine. I am looking to tow a 7000lb trailer and am wondering about the weight distributing hitches. The suburban has the factory air shocks that self level.

The question: do I use a weight distributing hitch system or not? What do you guys use.

Thanks

Gregg
  2. fredbird

fredbird New Member

The main concern should be the tongue weight. I'm not sure what your trucks max tongue weight is, but putting the weight distributing hitch will help reduce the wear on your rear end regardless. Even if the truck levels itself out the rear end will bear the burden of the weight, the weight distributing hitch will spread that out to both the vehicles axles as well as to the trailers axle, in effect lightening the tongue weight.
    I tow a 5000 lb camper with my 1500 and still use one to help out, and it works great. Hope this helps you, good luck!
  3. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul Rockstar 100 Posts

I agree.

I use the WD Hitch and I noticed 200% difference in hauling my trailer.

its worth the money every time as far as Im concerned, I haul 7500lbs tailer constantly with my 1/2 ton and it works beautifully.
  4. bluestreak94

bluestreak94 Rockstar

I would tend to agree with everyone, the weight distributing load levelling hitch is worth it, I pull a 5500 lbs
    travel trailer with my '04 Suburban 1500 with the 5.3 liter. It's well worth the $400 + - .
  5. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul Rockstar 100 Posts

my sig pic says it all :)
  6. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I would definately recommend the weight distribution hitch. one it will make a big difference with the load and two most all hitches for these trucks are rated at 5000 lbs without it regardless of the tow rating of the truck. so it mostly goes to a legal thing, if you get in an accident with a 7000 pound trailer on just a regular hitch you can get hit with a negligence (sp) issue.
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

A weight distributing hitch is always a good idea as is the sway control arm that is commonly an option on newer weight distributing hitches. You can never have to much leveling or sway control. :great:
  8. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Towing that much weight would be a lot better with a weight distributing hitch. It will help wear and tear, fuel economy and sway. Also you said you have self leveling suspension, thats good. When a trailer is loaded on th hitch you want the tow vehicle to be level. MAny SUV's sag considerably i the rear whic effects everything. Keeping the wheel wells in mind, measure before and after hitching the trailer. If its off a lot consider beefing up the rear suspension with air lift or similiar.
    I use a weight distributing hitch on my 8000 pond trailer and none on my father in laws 10000 pound boat and can tell a big difference.
  9. 05-Burb

05-Burb New Member

no brainer...use the WDH.