Weight Distribution Hitch, Do I need one?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by Salesguy1980, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Salesguy1980

Salesguy1980 Rockstar 100 Posts

I am in the process of buying a 2006 Keystone Cougar travel trailer. its a 30' don't have the model # near me. Anyways the RV dealer is telling me I need a weight distribution hitch. Wants $1,000, I know I can get them and install myself for half that. The question is, do I need one for my 2011 2500HD? I have a class V hitch and the HD trailer package. All the distribution hitch does is reduce sag at the hitch. Really? maybe if I had a 1500 I would do it but if thats all it does I am not getting one. if it helps with sway that much then maybe I will look into one. I have towed a 5 ton roller on a 4,000 construction trailer with no issue of sway or even sag. My payload capacity is around 3,300lbs so I doubt a 1,000 trailer tongue will be noticed.

Any help would be appreciated

Paul

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I would get the distribution hitch. I think they make the truck ride and handle better at highway speeds.

3. bby366

bby366 Member

I agree

X2,safer.They help with side winds and passing semis.

4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Do you know what the overall weight of your trailer will be (loaded & with the water tank full? water 8.33 lbs per gallon)

5. Salesguy1980

Not sure of the total weight, I think its around 10,500 loaded. Deal may not go through on this on but looking for something in the 30' range.

6. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Hey Salesguy1980 it sounds like we have pretty much the same set up. I tow an 8000lbs trailer (outback travel trailer@31 feet) and I have pulled it a distance as i left the bars in the garage at home (they are now stored in the trailer)What i noticed is the front axle had less load on it. The bars transfer some weight to the front axle and this is adjustable. Sure you can go without it but... a lot of these also have built in anti-sway like the one I use and I wouldn't tow without it. I can feel the trailer pull to the left when a transport passes me. Do it with the right setup and you will have many stress free trips. there are a few sites like this for trailers and this is always an avid discussion. send me a note and i will send you the 2 that i use. not a 100% sure if I can list them here... over there there are lots of experts and experience.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  7. Salesguy1980

Hi,

Sorry I haven't been on lately been busy. I bought a 2001 29' keystone springdale last night. I pick it up tomorrow. Dry weight is around 8,000 I think, GVW 9,600 lbs. I re-read my owners manual on my 2011 Sierra and found that the brake controls from the factory and HD trailer package include an anti-sway feautre built in. The camper does not have anti sway hitch and the previous owner pulled it not using one with his wifes 1500 suburban and said no issues at all. I'm thinking I am waisting money on an anti sway hitch considering my truck is a 2500 series crew so longer wheel base than a suburban and much heavier duty. I already have the class V hitch and a 2-1/2 pintle with 2-5/16" ball I use for work. I tow it home tomorrow about 100 miles so will see how it goes. I called the dealer and they said the brake control is designed to replace the need for sway bars. I will let you all know.

Now that I am entering the camper world, Lifetime tent camper and eagle scout so this is a def upgrade from what I am used to lol. What other tips and tricks should I jot down? Do's and don'ts? Must have gadgets and accessories?

Thanks all

Paul

8. rscott771

rscott771 New Member

9. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Best of luck to you in your camping adventures. Your truck should be alright to tow without them. However if you notice it start swaying real bad then I would definitely invest in the load distributing hitch. You cant put a price on you/ your families safety.

Safe travels my friend.